PC overheating ?! Something not right!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Grumbles, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Hi
    I have just installed the F@H software, but beginning to worry that something is not quite right :(
    Looked at Task manager and winFah.exe is using 19,000K+ and FahCore.exe is using 13,000K+ with the CPU running at 97 to 100%.
    Anyone know what is going on, or is this just normal?

G :)

2. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Thanks K
    I will wait and see what others say :)

G

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Grumbles, check your CPU temperature using a software program. Sorry, I can't give links, I can't seem to get to the MajorGeeks download page, but Everest or SiSandra should do.

The CPU running at 97 to 100% is normal. The folding program scales itself down, so you should see no noticable day to day difference. I have 2 CPU's cranking out 100% each. 9K and 4K memory use. Heck, Opera is taking up 64K! I think you are ok, but check the CPU(s) temps just to make sure.

E:cool

4. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Thanks
    I will check the temperature tomorrow :tired

Grumbles

5. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

not sure about WinFah.exe (Graphical client perhaps ?) I dont appear to have that on my system

Fahcore_78.exe generally runs about 98% CPU and 13,000k mem usage on my system, so it sounds like everything is fine.

Everest reports my CPU temp at 50 celsius (122 f) pc runs 24/7, ambient temps are on the rise (heading into summer) its probably only 3 or 4 degrees above what it would be under 'normal' use.

You should not have any issues, but as Fred_G (pretty smart for a dog ;)) mentioned, it pays to keep an eye on it temp wise when you first start.

Welcome to folding, it's a good thing. :)

6. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Folding@Home is an excellent way to burn in your system, as the CPU will be in full use especially when nothing else is happening. Kinda the purpose of the sucker in one sense.

7. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

:confused How do i check the CPU temperature using Everest?

G

8. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

to check temps and voltages in Everest

click on 'computer' and then on 'sensor'

you may have to leave the arcade for a minute though ;)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  9. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Thanks Shane - will check it tonight :)

10. noprob

noprob Corporal

this is an observation only my fellow folding members.

just out of curiousity I checked out FAH504-consol and FahCore_78.exe via task_manager

The results are quite different with FahCore_78.exe using 105,564K memory [this amount of memory is just barely over 1/10 of of 1 MB useage] and FAH504-Console using 2,180K memory.

This is running@70%

at 90% FahCore_78.exe uses a couple more K memory.

I even did a shut down of the operating system,then booted back up with the same results.

This does not alarm or bother me,but sure has me to wonder.

I may be wrong,but I believe it has to do with the Celery 325 as I have ran an Athlon 1,000MHz cpu/pc and have better response to the desktop/system.

just my 2ยข

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  11. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Interesting :)

Running a p4 2.8GHZ

Fahcore_78.exe 90% 12,572 K
    FAH504~1.exe 00% 2,216 K

12. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Thanks for all your replies :)

CPU running at 39C 102F

PC Case and all internal components departing for Mars at 1345, On time :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  13. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Mine went from 50C to 60 w/ F@H. Cools down when I'm not using it. Work creates heat.

14. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Don't have temps but originally had CPU usage set at 100% but reset to 95% to keep fan from sounding like a jet engine all day in the summer. (Case is next to monitor)
    Work comp using 504 console as service
    Dell Optiplex GX270 P4 3.0 Ghz 1.0 Gig RAM
    FAH504-Console.exe 0% 2,236K
    FahCore_78.exe 94% 106,772K

(Can't seem to achieve lift off, just sounds like it):D

15. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

How did you reset the CPU?

16. noprob

noprob Corporal

someone not as technical should reply as I'm certain I will confuse the issue.

I use the non graphical FAH program for windows and linux,which allows me to add flags or switches to "tell" the program what parameter's to use.
    I'm sure this can be done using the graphical version also,I just forgot.

what it seems to me you are asking to do is to re-configure your options,so the program will run at 95% instead of 100%.

from what I vaguely remember using the graphical version it seems I was able to access some sort of configuration area clicking on tabs to advanced,once there cpu usage is at 100 which I believe is a slider bar and a user could left click/hold down while moving the bar to place at whatever percent was desired.

I surely hope I have not confused you or anyone else,as that is not my intention.

17. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

could you give us a few details, Grumbles :)

What version are you running ?
    Are you running it as a service ?
    Are you running it from startup ?
    or Do you open it manually when you want to run it ?
    Why do you want to alter the cpu usage ?

When I initially installed folding at home, i ran it at 80% just to ease myself into it; realised after completing a few WU's that there was no reason for me to be doing this.
    I now have it set at 100%
    and find it generally runs at between 70% and 98% of CPU (even when 100% is available), not quite sure why this is, perhaps it has something to do with it needing more processing power to complete certain tasks and less for others within a WU. :confused

Regardless, my point is that I have not seen it running at more than 98% and most of the time it is around 95%.

I do know how to change the cpu usage very easily, but read on fahwiki the other day that this method is not acceptable under the EULA, unfortunately fahwiki is not responding at the moment.

If you answer my initial questions we should be able to guide you in the right direction :)

18. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Thanks Noprob :) i got bits of what you are saying, thanks

Thanks Shane :) I will get the info and answer back as soon as I can, thanks

19. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Thanks for help :)

20. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Grumbles, to lower the F@H usage on the graphical client, right click on the red Gear thing, click on Configure, click on the Advanced tab, and then adjust the CPU Usage Percent slider.

E

21. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Sorry I couldn't help you out Grumbles.:eek:
    I've never used a graphical client, only the console as service. (Set & Forget)

22. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

no worries, looks like Fred_G has you on the right track. :)

23. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Just out of curiosity, how would I do the same on the console program using XP? I know during installation/setup you have the option to set the %, but how would I change it if needed?

E

24. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

I think he meant adjusting the client >> Right click on the F@H icon in the systray. Choose "configure" then "advanced". At that point you can tune your cpu percentages.

Setting it to 100% will do the most work, but you should turn it back a little if you are having heat/system issues.

25. noprob

noprob Corporal

thx. Fred_G for the answer,I haven't used the graphical in years!
    as to the other question concerning changing options in the console version shanemail found a cool program to do as I believe you ask.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  26. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

If running Fah as a service, stop the service (FAH@...........) through:
    Start - Run - Services.msc

navigate to your folding directory
    example: C:\Program Files\Folding@Home

right-click on the console executable
    example: FAH504-Console.exe
    and select 'create shortcut'

right-click on your newly created shortcut
    and select 'properties'
    modify the 'target' to read "C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\FAH504-Console.exe" -configonly
    click 'Apply' and then 'OK'

[​IMG]

double-click on the shortcut to start the console configuration

[​IMG]

You can just press 'Enter' for the options that you do not want to change
    until you get to:
    'change advanced options (yes/no)'
    type in:
    yes

Press 'Enter' until you get to:

'CPU usage requested (5-100)'
    change this to whatever you wish (whole numbers between 5 & 100 ;))

Press 'Enter' for the remaining options until the console closes itself

Start - Run - Services.msc
    Restart the service.

Note: it is inadvisable to change any options that may potentially stop the processing of your current WU.
    If you are not aware of which options these are - do not change any of them apart from CPU usage.

27. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

28. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Thanks Shanemail!

E

29. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

No worries Eric :)

Fold on :major

30. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Maybe I am using the wrong terminology for Graphical? I followed BCG's 'Instructions for the Novice' and near the beginning is the following:
    Okay sounds great...But how do "I" do it:

Okay, the simple way is to go to http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html fill in your Major Geeks username to check for its usability (This is so the rest of us will know who you are, a different username might lead to some confusion) and download the "Graphical Client" as with all downloads check it with your Virus scanner, then install.

This is where I picked up the word Graphical :confused

G

31. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

32. noprob

noprob Corporal

Grumbles I will be busy Friday,but should be free to help you step by step Saturday via PM/private message,Yahoo messenger,there is even a chat room here now on Majorgeeks,however you may feel most comfortable doing so,also I'm most certain if I'm not able to help there are other members whom I am sure will.

Glen aka noprob

p.s.when I first got hooked on FAH,I did the graphical version,played around with it,then realized using the graphical version may use more computing power which may take away from the free cpu idle cycles,so I instead downloaded the plain jane version,created a folder and called it "Folding@Home" placing the folder in D drive incase C drive crashes,thereafter the download of FAH whichever version you choose,place it in the newly named folder.Then double click on the FAH download.In console version which is text mode non-graphical I am faced with a dos box and type in my user name of choice,not checking to even see if it ever existed before,then I key in enter which brings me to the next input which is team number and I type in 12072 thereafter keying in enter.Those are the only two inputs I dealt with at first,leaving all the rest at default.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  33. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Hi Grumbles,

From what I can see in this thread your temp seems ok, my is 35c which is normal for my pc and its cool here now. I don't know much about temps, except to watch it. I just used everest and copied my sensor stats then checked for the norm for that component. Might want to check for dust bunnies tho, if haven't in awhile.

BCs instructions were for the Graphic client, so that should be what you have. If causing issues, put it down to 90, you can always nudge it up if you want.

Is this a laptop? I have a old Dell Celeron Desktop and fan never stops, is your fan noisy? If so you may have a hardware or dust bunny issue.

Re memory usage, I don't pay much attn, I run at 100 % and never have a problem, it gives me back what I need. Don't notice a difference if folding is on or off.

w/folding on, only using 53% memory resources at moment, I don't pay attn to what ea. program is using...just what my available is and never an issue.

@ noprob yes it's the slider bar, you have a good memory and that will control CPU usage if you don't want to run at 100% on Graphical client.

[​IMG]

34. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

I have now uninstalled Folding, so that we can start afresh :)

Cheers
    Steve aka Grumbles

35. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

To Cat - thanks for your input :) It is a Dell Dimension 3000 Desktop. I reckon it does need a clean as the fan is noisy! I will try and get sorted via Noprobs message then give it a dust-over :)

Thanks

G

36. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Good luck :)
    once you have it set up right you will find it looks after itself very well.

Some of us like to play around with the config, but for the first run it pays to just keep it simple.

37. noprob

noprob Corporal

computers for some reason attract dust/bunnies.
    I have located my folding farm in various places in the home
    to no avail concerning this delema.
    at least,no less, should the end user go six(6) months without a can of electrical air
    to clean out your pc.
    I have reduced pc heat by at least 10 degrees airing out the inerds of my pc's.
    I seem to be more so technical/geeky then other end users,because I will also take
    apart my power supply using the can of air to better get at the source of the dreaded
    dust bunnie,they just will not stop reproducing.
    I even use q-tips (generic brand) to clean the fins on all fans using 70% rubbing alcohol,
    going over them about three times,depending on the amount of bunnie sign deposited.
    I also build my own computers from scratch and re-apply a better quality heat transfer
    solution between the cpu and heatsink usually buying a slightly better quality heatsink
    and fan which co$ts less then $10USD not including shipping and handling.
    also keeping all the wiring and ribbons contained and out of the way to allow better air flow.
    - - -
    I believe that would be 2:30 my time in the afternoon and your time 6:30 which would be in the evening your time?
    Is this correct Grumbles?
    - - -
    as an after thought, please should anyone decide to be brave with their computer,unplug it first after properly shutting down your operating system,thank you.

Please continue folding now...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  38. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Hi Noprob :)
    I have pm'd you regarding your offer of help :) Would you mind if i postpone until i get my PC cleaned out? The overheating won't be helped by the accumulation of dust in there :(
    Sorry to inconvenience you and anyone else who was going to help :)

G

39. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

previously in this thread you quoted your cpu temp as 39

was that at idle or under load ?

currently running at 44, been folding for about 16 hours at 100%

if you normally game on your computer that will create more heat than folding due to increased ram usage plus your GPU

Just wondering if you had a dodgy fan, or perhaps a really popular brand of fan that is known to be rather loud

40. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Don't know about the make of fan yet - i will do by monday night when i get dusting :)
    Thanks

41. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

No worries,

If you are folding at 39 degrees - you are doing very well :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds