Error: Canot read disc

Discussion in 'Software' started by leprickon, May 6, 2008.

1. leprickon

leprickon Private E-2

Hey everybody, I'm in dire need of help here.

I tried installing Windows XP SP2 on my desktop, but after it finished the inital install and rebooted for the first time, I received an error: Cannot read disc. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart. It's a black screen that would just appear after the BIOS loaded. After restarting several times and trying to install XP a second time, I gave up. I don't know what to do, but now the screen that appears after the BIOS loads is the one for my HP recovery disc setup.

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume something happened wit the XP disc and it erased everything..Or it isn't compatible with an HP computer. That reminds me, do OEM discs work on every brand computer?

I'm running a HP a6200n with all the default specs except I have a Nvidia 8600gts instead of the Nvidia 6150 SE. Specs here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...91&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3548643&lang=en

Any and all help would be much appreciated! :)

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It looks like this computer came with Vista installed.
    If so, you won't find drivers for XP available from HP for your hardware. You will have to reinstall Vista.

3. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Plodr is right,HP does not support Xp anymore.Shame!!!

I meant for newer HP comp's.

4. leprickon

leprickon Private E-2

Ok, thanks guys. I'm still curious as to one thing though: I have all the appropriate drivers for my HP machine for XP..but will XP simply not install on it at all or what? =/

5. abrown7694

abrown7694 Private E-2

Hi Leprickon, Got about the same issue here, fixing a HP A6200n for a friend of mine, this machine did come with Vista, but they dont have any of the recovery discs, it is out of warranty, and to top it off the 320G sata drive that came with the PC has suffered critical hardware failure. I stuck in a WD40 gig IDE hd, was able to install XP but now the thing will only boot if the XP disc is in the CD drive. I get the message "Disk Boot Failure, Insert system disc and press enter". I figure this must be a bios or chipset issue, but I'm not sure how to resolve this. I think our issues are similar, please let me know if you find a solution. ..thanks Abrown7694

6. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

This will be a nightmare for you if you are continue to install xp.So as plodr suggest the best and painless for you is to reinstall vista.Sorry.
    This is same as DELL,since they also don't install xp on their machines.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds