cannot connect after malware removal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jangoer, Jan 9, 2009.

1. jangoer

jangoer Private E-2

hey guys im a moderate to high lvl technical user. recently I ran into an issue on someone elses machine that has stumped me...heres situation:

after going 12 rounds with that stinkin antivirus 2009 garbage virus I was finally able to convince malwarebytes to run and remove it. virus is now gone as far as I can determine. however the browser (both IE and firefox) have been unable to display web pages.
    I have verified on my machine with hardwire that internet is available. ipconfig shows valid ip (192.168.1.x) and
    computer is able to ping out to webpages both by ip and url
    when checking services the first time after removal I noticed DNS was disabled. I switched to automatic and was able to start the service. however this has not changed the issue. I also removed all security software on this machine (there was several programs) thinking a firewall may have been responsible however this has not changed anything. regardless of browser i am unable to view webpages. I am unable to get computer to boot from disc or enter BIOS settings or even safemode computer will not display anything prior to windows login screen. have a little TS to do in that area yet however I feel that perhaps there is a service i am overlooking or some registry file browsers relys on that got corrupted. any suggestions as to what to look for? I apologize for lack of any logs however this machine cannot get online and I do not own the machine (ie. not at my home)

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

above link is to a read and runme from the malware forum. this is usually what the malware experts here request that people do to clean their pc when they come here for malware help. might not be a bad idea for you to run through it. its tried and true. please dont post any logs here though, thats for the malware section.

3. pari22

pari22 Corporal

hit f2 or esc to see if you can get to pos. hit f8 for safemode.
    see if you can reinstall IE from a disk after os boot. see if installing ip v6 helps.
    if you still can't browse, you might still have virus.

4. jangoer

jangoer Private E-2

I have actually done most of whats posted there couple things I didnt run as far as tools but I will give it a go for whats left

5. masterhand2000

masterhand2000 Private E-2

Ran in to this a few times. Launch IE, go to internet options, connections, lan settings and make sure nothing is checked. Previosly I had to uncheck the boxes before it would work. After running Malwarebytes and removing the malware it corrupted the ip stack and put check marks in IE Lan settings on 3 out of the last 4 machines I have worked on last week. - Anyways, give it a shot.

6. AllyCat

AllyCat Private E-2

While I have not the experience you do, I've been dealing with this same mess for 3 weeks. With a lot of help here at MG after paying someone $200 to get me back into Windows after this thing hit, I have NO LAN connection, have tried to restore the network drivers from the discs. No luck. After I get out of work tonight, I am wiping the hard drive and starting over.

Sorry to be a downer, but two experts and a couple people I've met online have told me they had to do that too. Hope you have better luck than I!!

7. masterhand2000

masterhand2000 Private E-2

Step by step instructions after using malware bytes to remove malware (antivirus2009 or whatever the flavor is now.)

After you have destroyed the Malware - sometimes the winsock gets corrupted and sometimes the ip stack, and then other times the lan connection settings get changed, so i run through all the following steps to correct a clients PC.

This is if you can not get an internet connection after reboot.

1. Repair\rebuild the winsock
    run from command line . netsh winsock reset

Reboot - if no connectivity continue

2. Repair\rebuild the IP Stack
    run from command line netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Reboot - if no connectivity continue

3. Check the Internet Explorer LAN settings, make sure there are no check marks in the connection options - don't know why this makes a difference, but it did on one of the machines I was working on.

So far this method has worked on all machines I have worked on.

Here are some other ref. http://www.wikihow.com/Repair-Winsock-and-TCP/IP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811259#LetMeFixItMyselfAlways

It always bites reloading a machine. Good luck to you.

8. ctmccarthy

ctmccarthy Private E-2

Hello,

After ridding my HP Pavillion of the Windows Privacy Protection virus, and following the detailed and thorough instructions in the aforementioned read and run me, I still cannot connect to the internet. It stared after the running of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software. There is internet connectivity because things like AIM work properly, however, both IE and FireFox receive an "Unable to connect" message. As instructed I have included the logs from each scan.The final one will come under separate cover

Your thoughts? Thanks.
    Chris

Attached Files:

9. ctmccarthy

ctmccarthy Private E-2

Here is the last log.

Thanks.

Chris

Attached Files:

10. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

@ ctmccarthy
    Sorry to say but you have posted your logs in the wrong forum.
    You need to post them in the "malware" forum starting your own thread.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35

If one of the mods see this they may change the location for you but it would be better if you did it yourself.

11. pari22

pari22 Corporal

Check connection settings for ie.
    Open ie. Tools. Options. Connections tab. Lan.
    Uncheck "use proxy..." if checked.
    This is assuming you are using ie. If using firefox, dont know the exact path but should be similar...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds