Slow download speeds ?.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trollbasher, Nov 3, 2008.

1. trollbasher

trollbasher Private E-2

:) Hi i need help with slow download speeds please. :confused

not sure what relevent info is needed ask if you need more, :confused

my postcode/phonenumber says i can get 3mb download speeds,
    i have a 512kbs modem/router,
    i have a 512kbs isp,
    and i have configured my modem/router to make sure the port being used is fowarded properly,

However i only get an average download speed of around 54kbs, normally varys between about 40kbs up to about 72kbs, but is normally around 54kbs, now as far as i can see i should be getting a max download speed of up to 512kbs :confused.

i have tried various download and torrent managers but always get the same results.

Any explanations suggestions (nice ones:p) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. trollbasher

trollbasher Private E-2

Some other specs you may require, could not edit last post. :confused

Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3
    AMD 9550 Quad-Core Processor, MMX, 3DNow (4 CPUs), ~2.2GHz ~8.8GHz
    4096MB RAM
    x2 NVIDIA 1 GB GeForce 9500 GT SLI

3. sharathpaps

sharathpaps Private E-2

Since you talk about port forwarding, I take it that you're talking about downloading with torrents....

There can be various reasons that your torrent client isn't downloading fast enough...

1. The health of the torrent is poor. => There is nothing you can do about it except wait for more seeds and peers

2. Recheck your Port Forward settings. => Clients like utorrent have an inbuilt tool that helps you check if your port is open.

3. Your ISP ( & many other ISP's) might throttle bandwidth if they think the packets are meant for torrent... => You can rectify this by enabling encryption and randomizing the port (again built into torrent client preferences)

4. Your upload and download limits are not optimal... an unlimited upload and an unlimited download speed need not necessarily be ideal for your connection..

This link has more info about speeding up torrents...

and finally if you were not talkin about torrents... Understand the concept of KB and kb...

8 bits = 1 byte
    1024 bytes = 1 kilobyte
    1024 kilobytes = 1 Megabyte

Your speed is 3 Megabits per second or 3072 kilobits per second
    => 3072/8 = 384 KiloBytes per second...

4. trollbasher

trollbasher Private E-2

1/ I'm not just talking about torrents i'm talking about all downloads no matter what or how i download anything.

2/ I already stated i have configured the ports.

3/ Again its all downloads not just torrents, and my isp doesent do that anyway they are excelent.

4/ I have tried all different download and up load speeds and used optimisation tools and stuff.

I know the difference between B/s KB/s MB/s and GB/s all download tools including the standard windows one states what your download speed is in, normally KB/s, in fact never seen one yet that does not use KB/s wether it be 0.5 KB/s or 2094. KB/s.

Thanks anyway but not helpfull.

PS to all using speed tests i normally get around 415 KB/s down and about 70 KB/s up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  5. trollbasher

trollbasher Private E-2

Thats kb/s not KB/s by the way, which is around my normal download speeds of around 54 KB/s.

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I would double check with my ISP. It looks like you are on a 1MB line. Verizon offers tiers slower is cheaper and faster is more expensive. Your phone number might have 3mb available but you could be signed up for the lower tier. Your speeds match lowest tier specs almost exactly.

If you are paying for 3MB then have them check the line you are definitely not getting it. Port forwarding would not be involved for non-torrent/gaming downloads.

7. trollbasher

trollbasher Private E-2

Thanks but as stated in my original post i only have a 512 KB ISP unless its 512 kb need to check on that, have had it a few years now maybee its time to change.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds