Problems installing Realtek AC 97 audio driver

Discussion in 'Software' started by 029, Feb 26, 2008.

1. 029

029 Private E-2

Sorry for digging up this old thread, but I have the exact same problem.

My computerspecs are:
    ASUS K8V-MX
    AMD Sempron, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3300+
    VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller
    Windows XP Home SP2

It all started after the soundMAX on my PC (which afaik was acting as a driver for my soundcard) conflicted with a new program. I figured I'd be able to install the standard Realtek AC 97 audio driver after I deleted soundMAX. However, when I tried to install the Realtek driver using the 'wizard new hardware' my system rebooted at ~ 70%.

So I downloaded the installer from realtek.com, but got the exact same problem: my system rebooted without a warning at ~ 70%.

So the only option I can think about, is using system recovery. But then I won't be able to run my new program. Is there any other solution for my problem?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2008
  2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Re: Problems installing Realtek AC 97 audio driver.

@ 029
    What program are you running?
    SoundMax and Realtek drivers are different, even though they both run off an AC"97 chip. I do not think you can swap them.
    I would make sure that you options are correctly set in the progam. If they are, then it may be a choice between running that app, having sound, or finding another similar app that doesn't conflict with SoundMax.
    If you decide you want your sound back, here is the driver from ASUS.
    I suggest installing the chipset driver first and then the audio. Make sure Realtek is uninstalled first.

VIA 4-in-1 Driver V1.00 for Windows 98SE/Me/2000/NT/XP/2003
    SoundMax Audio Driver V5.12.01.5150 for Windows 98SE/Me/2000/XP/2003

3. 029

029 Private E-2

Re: Problems installing Realtek AC 97 audio driver.

Hi Musksnipe,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm trying to run Avid Free DV, which is free video editing software. When starting up the program, I get the following error message: ADM_Dsound_mixer_open_error, after which the program exits automatically.

Somewhere on the Avid Free DV forums I read Avid Free DV is picky about soundcards. So I installed Everest to check which soundcard I had. I saw it was a AC97 chip. After some research I found out that that's a pretty common sound device, so I figured that by uninstalling soundMAX and installing the more common Realtek AC 97 audio driver, I would increase my chances to be able to run the program normally.

If I understand correctly, it's not neccesarily possible to swap between thos two drivers?

Running the program without any sound is not on option. So I guess I'll just have to buy a compatible soundcard with compatible drivers or install another video editing tool, am I right?

PS For now, I've recovered my system, so my soundMAX drivers are installed and working fine :)

4. Anidem

Anidem Private E-2

I am currently having the same issue with the realtek driver install causing unwanted system re-boot. I did not know the drivers were not swappable because I was using Driver Magician to locate updates for my system.

Hopefully the drivers listed will restore my sound.

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

@ 029 and Anidem
    I don't think you can swap between those drivers. There are several different companies that use that chip but have a different driver designed for it.
    It's possible you could get an add on sound card and swap between your SoundMax and the new card.

If you have any more problems, Please start a new thread, as I tend to miss add-ons to older threads.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds