I think I did something stupid...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Belle, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Belle

Belle Private E-2

Hello...I know enough only to be dangerous to a computer. My ISP offered a free service - "McAfee Privacy Service" - http://www.alltel.net/alltel/portal/customersupport/?hrefURL=/mcafee/index2.html -

I knew better. But I took them up on the offer since it was free, thinking I could uninstall it later. (Famous last words?) Dah...(I'm not blonde, but I should be!)

It crashed my computer for a long long time. Then when it did finally decide to boot, everything was soooo slow. Of course it wouldn't uninstall. Finally I went into the program folders and deleted everything of mcaffe manually.

But my computer is still very slow, and error messages about rcc or something like that and ash something...of course there are still things in the registry (system information...startup programs) leading to those deleted files...I can remember how to manually fix that.

I tried to run trend micro scan, but the computer ran so slow trend micro gave up and timed it out.

So with a software screw up like this should I follow the how to list for spyware etc removal? OS on this sad computer is WIN98

Thank you kindly in advance for your help.

Belle

2. Punjabi88

Punjabi88 Private E-2

well seems like your registry is bit messed up well yeah u can try cleaning your registry removing ad-ware spyware if that doesnt help

i think you should reinstall the os or
    just format the whole computer

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I would run the spyware scans as well as check your startup for any items that may still be trying to load at startup. Go to start, run and type msconfig, go to the startup tab to be sure there are no Mcaffe items still listed. A registry cleaner like RegCleaner should clean out your registry and also has a startup manager.

http://majorgeeks.com/RegCleaner_d460.html

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Good advice Major. Also look for and uncheck GUARDDOG.EXE if you find it in the startup list.

Steve

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

WHY?

Thats the very last thing you would want to do, a little bit of troubleshooting is needed first before the easy answer is used and before re-install to menton as the OS is working albiet slow is to save all important documents, pictures just about anything of importance :rolleyes:

The logical step to take as MA, Matacumbie & yourself said is to run a registry cleaner etc as removing an application by deleting the program folder doesnt remove registry entries.

Belle please dont format and re-install just yet!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds