please help. My keyboard and mouse and a big blue screen.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by helphelphelp!, Sep 26, 2007.

1. helphelphelp!

helphelphelp! Private E-2

I'm at a loss. I am dealing with a computer that starts to boot, and then goes a blue screen with Unmountable Boot Volume and a STOP: error. To me it looks as though there are two OS's on the machine, one Windows XP Pro, and one called simply: Microsoft Windows. In any case, I can't DO anything to try to fix it because my mouse and keyboard will not work. I can't use a PS2 keyboard because it appears the connector thingy is bent or something (on the computer). I can't get it to recognize the mouse or keyboard at all, and of course, therefore, can't get into BIOS to change the settings.

I'm sure others deal with this, and there's probably something really easy... please share it with me?:confused

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  3. helphelphelp!

It's not the connector cable problem.

I can't get into BIOS, because my keyboard and mouse won't function at all.

And to make things more difficult, I dont have a bootable XP disc.

Because I dont have a working keyboard and mouse, I can't do ANYTHING, it's making me CRAZY! :cry

4. helphelphelp!

Well, looks like the 9th keyboard is a charm. For some reason that keyboard worked while others did not. *whew*

Now.. onto the blue screen Unmountable Boot Volume issue. yucka.

5. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Is there any data on that computer you have to have? I would say a reformat is the most easy way to fix boot errors. Do you have a reformat disk or not?

6. helphelphelp!

I hope this is fixable without reformatting. (crossing fingers)

I believe there's probably some stuff on it that is needed.

I'm thinking if it isn't repairable, I'll do data recovery on the HD and swap it out for a new one. Although, I'm kind of hoping it isn't HD failure.

Sitting here unable to do anything though, for lack of a Windows XP Pro disc. :(

7. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

The only way to see your Xp again is from using recovery CD(same installation CD),and boot from CD,hit (R) for repair,find your OS you want to repair and tupe"chkdsk /r" without the quotes,letit roll and when finish type "exit".Thus is the only way,bro.Good Luck!!!!

8. helphelphelp!

Yes, thank you for your reply, GoranP.

I realized right away I need the disc, and I've been trying to find one. I finally called a friend who is burning me a copy that I will drive 20 miles each way to go pick up tomorrow morning. I'm tempted to go find one on Morpheus but I dont want to risk it being messed with.

WHY oh WHY won't they just give everyone a stupid disc along with the software they are PAYING for. Instead they give us these worthless OEM "recovery" discs which are .. just that. Worthless.

The biggest part of my problem (at least the part I was most frustrated with)was not being able to find a keyboard and mouse it would recognize. This is the second time this week I've dealt with that problem. Why does it DO that? Is there some magic type of keyboard and mouse that works? Are you just screwed if you dont have a PS/2 connector? I can get by without a mouse, but a keyboard is pretty much a necessity.

And err... I'm not a "bro"... more like a "sis"... ;) lol

9. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

everything is cool.....sis!!! I apologize for my mistake.
    About your problem,two days ago I successfully recover a comp with same problem like you. chkdsk /r is magic word for you.
    About your mice and keyboard if you connect anything on your comp,do it with power of,not when your comp is working.Try with USB mice and keyboard.If you don't have extra USB ports,you can buy USB hub with some extra ports.GOOD LUCK!!!! and post what you have done.

10. helphelphelp!

LOL, no problem. It's funny to hear you call me "sis", though. :D

Yeah, the computer should be off when connecting PS/2 devices, USB doesn't matter though.

In any case, I'm going to get the disc now, so I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Thank you!

11. helphelphelp!

*sigh* It's just really very dead.

I don't think it's coming back.

Ordered a new hard drive from newegg.com yesterday.

12. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

What,What is dead?How? What you do?

13. helphelphelp!

I thnk the Hard drive is dead. It won't respond at all. Not even when I put it in my good system.

Just goes back to the unmountable boot volume error.

14. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

15. helphelphelp!

Hmm.. Well I tried it 9 more times. I can get to only a couple of screens.

When I boot from disc, I "should" be able to navigate as follows:

To start the computer and use the Recovery Console

From the Setup CD-ROM

Insert the Setup compact disc (CD) and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.

When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R.

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.

When prompted, type the Administrator password.

At the system prompt, type Recovery Console commands; type help for a list of commands, or help commandname for help on a specific command.

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit.

If you have already installed the Recovery Console

During Startup, select Recovery Console from the startup options menu.

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.
    (I'm not sure why this system would have two OS's to choose from, it shouldn't)

When prompted, type the Administrator password.

At the system prompt, type Recovery Console commands; type help for a list of commands, or help commandname for help on a specific command.

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit.

However, I haven't been that lucky.

If I hit the boot from CD ROM, it takes me to which operating system to start from I have TWO choices, (??) One is titled Windows XP Professional. If I click that one, it goes to windows startup page, then BSOD. If I click the other, it goes to c:/>, and any command I enter says Bad command or file name.

No matter what else I hit, it goes to the Windows screen next and then to BSOD- unmountable boot volume.

Sometimes if Im really lucky, I get a screen that says:

- To continue current upgrade to XP Professional press Enter
    - To cancel current upgrade and install new version hit F10
    - Or to exit without installing windows hit F3

I dont think I should install the new copy of the OS because there is stuff on this drive he needs, pictures and such, and he wont be able to recover them if I write over them with a new OS, right? (Even though I have hit enter, it's the only option it will respond to- and it doesn't install the OS anyway).

The last screen I can get is the one where you can start in safe mode, etc. But all of the options bring me ultimately to the BSOD.

It says on the link you gave me:

Damaged File System
    If the second parameter (0xbbbbbbbb) of the Stop error is 0xC0000032, then the file system is damaged.

If this is the case, restart the computer to the Recovery Console, and then use the chkdsk /r command to repair the volume. After you repair the volume, check your hardware to isolate the cause of the file system damage.

The second parameters of my stop error are 0xC000009c, not 0xC0000032. Does this make a difference?

Thank you again, btw, Goran P. it's really nice of you to take the time to follow up on this with me. :)

16. helphelphelp!

PS- my entire stop error is:

0x000000ED (0x81FDB900, 0xc000009c, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds