Should I be worried about this?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Flyingaddict, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Flyingaddict

Flyingaddict Private E-2

I use Zone alarm pro firewall. Recently Ive been getting a program alert that shows that.. ?&õw©&õwà0üwœ&õw¸¥: is trying to access the internet.. I have no idea what this thing is and I keep denying it access. Ive configured zonealarm to deny it access a few times now but it keeps popping up when I access Paltalk under a certain nicname.

Ive done a full virus scan and a trojan scan but they show nothing suspicious. Denying access doesnt seem to make any difference to performance so I am very suspicous of it.

Anyone got any idea what this thing might be?

WinXP home SP1
    2.53 pentium
    512 ddr
    64 meg GF4 (The yukky one)
    & nothing special worth mentioning

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I would download active ports from the front page and run while you use pal talk and that user. This will give you the name and phyisical location of the app trying to connect out. Look for anything weird..

3. Flyingaddict

Flyingaddict Private E-2

Thanks for the reply Kodo. unfortunately I have no idea how to do what you suggest. I do try to get my own answers whenever I can rather than bother people. In this case I really do need help. My firewall ( Zonealarm Pro) has been going crazy with alerts lately. It seems a bit too coincidental for my liking. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

4. Hope this helps

Kerio did that on occasions when I first installed it, sometimes I would deny acces and a programe would keep trying to acces the internet for a while. Kerio gives me the adresse of the site that the programe is contacting, so try what I do,note the IP adress you get, go on symantecs(Norton) website, use there trace a potential attack programe, enter the IP adresse and check up the name it gives you. If it's something like microsoft windows media player update, than obviously media player is trying to update. It doesn't always work, but when I see a legit adresse trying to update a programe that I know uses updates(like norton anti-virus), or whatever else, I usually permit acces.

here ya go,

http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp?j=1&langid=us&venid=sym&plfid=20&pkj=DJFDESLHFEPGEVVSDUX

Hope this helps,

Dan.

5. Flyingaddict

Flyingaddict Private E-2

Thanks for the reply Dan... Been there.. done it. Wish it had found a legit address. It didnt :(

Did a full online security virus and trojan scan while I was there and found nothing.

Still bewilrdered, baflled and befuddled. :(

Any more suggestions or help would be greatty appreciated

6. hudini

hudini Private E-2

7. mutz_nutz_uk

mutz_nutz_uk Private First Class

Oh boy. Dyslexic hackers now ;)

j/k everyone :eek:

With a name like that, it definately sounds malicious. Have you tried a spyware/adware scan yet?? Try Ad-Aware 6.0 (Get it from the front page here at MG) and see if it comes up with anything. I have got a few strange filenames come up myself lately. It seems to be something that runs in tandem with the times I (mistakenly) allow MSN Messenger to load up :(

Good luck finding the culprit.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds