Internet disconnects

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gatorwes55, Dec 10, 2004.

1. gatorwes55

gatorwes55 Private E-2

When browsing the internet, my computer seems to lose its connection. It doesn't freeze up, nor do I don't lose the web page I'm on, it just won't open a new web page. I also subsribe to Music Match internet radio and it will disconnect while a song is playing. After a minute or so, both the internet and the radio will start up back up, only to stop again a few minutes later. I'm also unable to dowload anything from the internet because of this.

I noticed another user had posted a message about the Music Match radio issue, but no solution was listed. The techs at Music Match have been no help.

I experience this problem with both Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. I was using a DSL connection, but have switched to High Speed with a wireless router. The problem occurs with both. I've tried closing all of the background programs that come on at startup, with the exception of the MM system tray. But that didn't help. I've tried disconnecting the new Windows SP2 Firewall, but that didn't do any good either. I've ran the PC Doctor diagnostic tool and everything checked out OK.

Before I downloaded SP2 this would happen once in awhile. But since downloading SP2 it happens alot, like every few minutes (a complete song will not play before the radio stops). I thought it was my internet provider, so I changed internet services. But, the problem still continues.

I'm ready to pull my hair out and I need to keep what little bit I have left. Please help!

System info;
    Windows XP Professional
    Presario S5400NX
    512 RAM
    120GB
    2.6GHz P4

Security related software;
    Norton Antivirus
    Webroot Spy Sweeper
    Alladin (Ideal) Internet Cleaner

Please let me know if anymore information is need.

Thanks,
    Gator(getting balder by the minute)wes

2. Stakyl

Stakyl Private E-2

The same thing happens to me.
    I just installed Service pack 2 and now sometimes the internet works, sometimes it doesnt. It's especially annoying if I am in the middle of the game and I SUDDENLY get disconnected. Sometimes it won't work for a long time unless I disable the bridge and enable it again or disable the LAN connection. I don't know anything about networking so please, HELP US OUT!!

3. Farbib

Farbib Corporal

I didn't see Ad-Aware or Spybot Search & Destroy on that list. I don't mean to discount other possibilities, but first have a computer whiz uncheck stuff from your msconfig, delete temp files, run the above anti-spyware programs, maybe a HijackThis. It sounds like spyware. Below is a good article about this stuff. You need anti-spyware programs (several) and to keep them up-to-date. If your internet connectivity is not spyware-related, Major Geeks can help for sure. But it probably is. And though this is not a satisfying answer (I know you want a click here uncheck this solution) you really need to find a computer whiz and ask him/her to rid your computer of spyware. That will almost definitely resolve alot if not all this internet connectivity issue. http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=25834

4. bloodbazzi

bloodbazzi Private E-2

Hi, I am also having the same problems. i currently have Ad-Aware and Spyware S&D installed on my computer. I also have a shared connection of Earthlink DSL between two computers. Soon it got so frustrating that SP2 was not living up to its original expectations I removed SP2 from the computer...However, the internet connectivity is still irregular, coming up with a "Diagnostics Tests Failed" screen at seemingly random times. Is there a definite solution to this? I am pretty sure that my computer is clean of spyware.

5. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Not to step on anyone's toes but do you guys have Windows Firewall enabled? If yes, try disabling it and see if things improve....don't foget the possibility of the problem being with your Router and even ISP...

6. bloodbazzi

bloodbazzi Private E-2

well, i dun have SP2 on this computer. Plus, I haven't heard of any problems recently with Earthlink internet. Thanks for your concern, but I believe that perhaps this is something else...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds