help!!!! with winlogon.exe

Discussion in 'Software' started by lightningboy, Nov 4, 2005.

1. lightningboy

lightningboy Private E-2

hey guys i used this guide http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    to disable some start up programs and when i rebooted my computer i get this message that winlogon.exe wasn't found in memory and now i cant get booted into my computer it just keeps restarting please help.but i didnt disable winlogon. thanks

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Do you know what the exact error message is?

Can you start in Safe Mode or Last Known Good Configuration? (repeatedly tap F8 as it's booting for menu)

3. lightningboy

lightningboy Private E-2

no it wont let the computer boot into safe mode or last good config.at the end of the error message it says something about a problem with the i/o and it gives the memory path. sorry but thats all the info i have.

4. Insomniac

Apart from doing a repair, we would need to know the exact error message.

If you can write it down and post back someone may be able to help.

A repair may work, but should really be a last resort.

5. lightningboy

lightningboy Private E-2

here is exact error message

sas window winlogon.exe application error
    the instruction @ 0x77d49dda referenced memory 0x75a619c0. the the registry data was not placed into memory because of an i/o error status of 0xc000009c click ok to terminate or cancel to debug

6. Insomniac

Try to run Chkdsk from the Recovery Console.

Set your Bios to boot from CD, then place the XP CD in your drive and reboot.

1.Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.

4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

5. At the command prompt, type Chkdsk /r then press Enter.

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

Do as Insomniac says.

Me personally, believes that what BlackViper says to do, may not be the WISE thing to do.

I'll say no more, since MANY ...

nm

8. Insomniac

I agree in part with that view, however, I think the problem isn't so much the information, but that people don't read the disclaimers or follow the advice.

You should only ever change one service at a time, then leave it for a while and if everything is OK change another and so on, rather than do them all in one go.

Also, BlackViper specifically states that it is only a guide and may not work on every system.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds