Linksys Router Setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Twistid, May 27, 2006.

1. Twistid

Twistid Corporal

Hey, I'm not really having any real troubles with my new Linksys router I just got (I've had one before too). But I would like to have a good set of secure settings for it while at the same time still being able to get on mIRC and Azureus and any other program that accesses the internet. I already know how to allow mIRC and Azureus to access the internet with these types of routers so there's no need for help in that. Basically what I'm asking is for some recommended settings from you guys. The model number I got is: WRT54G. It's a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router and I'm using Windows XP if that matters.

2. user_x

user_x Private E-2

I'm not completely familiar with the advanced features on that router, but most routers allow you to:

1. Block ICMP
    2. Not broadcast SSID
    3. Enable WEP or MAC Address Filtering

Doing those three is a simple way to increase your home network security. Also I suggest changing the default IP address of your router to something other than 192.168.1.1, and changing the default password for it. The last thing I would do is make sure the firmware is up to date. Most computers are fairly safe from intrusion as long as you stay up to date on the patches and follow some very basic security guidelines.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds