Internet slows after router reboot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trind, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Trind

Trind Private E-2

I dunno if this is the right place to ask for help with this. If not, please suggest another website forum. Thank you.

I have AT&T DSL with a Westell E90 modem and I have tried both a Wireless-B (I know) Linksys BEF11S4 running stock firmware and a Wireless-G WRT54G running dd-wrt and my internet slows down to the point where websites either time out or take several minutes to load. If I reboot the router the internet is normal speed for anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes before slowing back down, almost as if there is a certain amount of data that can be downloaded before it slows again. This happens with both routers. If I remove the router and set the modem back to PPPoE and connect it to my desktop the computer is normal. I have a desktop that is always wired into either the modem or the router, depending on if I have the router set up, and I have another desktop that has a Wi-Fi card. When the internet slows EVERY computer's internet connection slows down and even tablets, smartphones, and laptops get slow internet. I have not changed any settings on either router or the modem or any of the computers.

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Well, how many devices and how much bandwidth? You're using DSL that is often slow to begin with so if you're connecting numerous devices, I am not surprised. I know most companies are trying to get people off DSL and on to fiber. Some of the speeds are as low as 768Kbps which is just bad for numerous devices.

Anyway, it sounds like a defective modem, that's where I would start by having it replaced.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The Westell E90 is a modem and router. You need to set the Westell E90 to bridge mode and let the routers do the routing. Two devices are fighting for router control, the modem and the router.

Since I don't use dsl, I can't walk you through the steps to set the modem to bridge mode.

I found these directions:
    To disable the DSL modem's routing functionality
    Connect your computer to your DSL modem directly (make sure that you can get connected to the Internet with DSL PPPoE service userid/password provided by Verizon)
    Login to the modem by going to http://192.168.1.1/
    Proceed to "Configuration" menu and select "VC Configuration"
    Locate first "enabled" row click "Edit" button
    In the protocol drop-down select "Bridge"
    Click "Set VC"
    Allow DSL modem to reset itself, power it off
    Configure your router (Linksys, Netgear, Hawking or any other one that supports PPPoE, often used in xDSL connections) with PPPoE userid/password provided by Verizon
    Power off your router
    Power on your modem, wait for DSL light to go solid green
    Power on your router

4. Trind

Trind Private E-2

Thank you both for your advice!

Major Attitude, I have one desktop that is connected to the router through ethernet, a roku, and usually there is an iphone. When I get home I connect my other desktop via wifi and my phone connects as well. Last night the internet was super slow but when I got home tonight it was normal. This is usually what happens. It'll be slow for a whole day then be fine for about a week. Just to test it though, I did not connect my phone to the wifi so, at most, there were four devices connected instead of the usual five. I have yet to experience the issue again tonight.

plodr, I do have the Westell set to bridge mode and the router set to PPPoE per AT&T's instruction, but thank you for your help as well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds