Ccleaner

Discussion in 'Software' started by scottshad, Aug 20, 2008.

1. scottshad

scottshad Private First Class

I downloaded CCleaner and went through the Windows and Applications part with not much of a problem.
    But when I went to Registry section and I ran it, it came back with 411 entries. It asked if i wanted to make a copy of them and I did and it was put into my Documents folder.
    I started going through the entries and saw some were from from programs that were installed and removed, so I knew i could remove them. But there were entries that I have no idea of what they are. Some have a huge set of numbers and others I have no idea what they mean. But there were also some of the Microsoft UPDATES in this file. So I am stuck at that point.
    Should I post what these files are? If so, I am not sure if I know how.
    Let me point out one more thing in case you didn't picked this up, I am COMPUTER STUPID so please, please explain in the simplest terms.
    if it wasn't for MG, I would be really lost.
    Thank you

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

CCleaner is a very reliable program and I have never heard of it damaging a PC.

as you have backed up all that it found you can safely let it clean everything it found

3. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

I just backup Registry then hit the fix all

4. scottshad

OK, I will give it a shot.
    Thank you

5. scottshad

Well, my laptop is still running:-D
    thank you so much for your help--both of you!:)
    but I guess I will know if everything ok after a re-boot.:(
    Have a great day!
    Scott

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

you should find your internet is a little faster now with all that rubbish out and do not be concerned about the re-boot as i said i have never heard of a PC being damaged by CCleaner.

7. scottshad

well, it doesn't seem any faster, but what was weird, I couldn't log onto MG, I had to use an email that was sent and use that address.
    but now everything seems fine.
    thanks again!
    scott

8. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

that was not your PC i had the same problem maybe the server went down for a few minutes?

9. scottshad

GREAT! because it wouldn't let me sign in on either comcast, aol or ie7....
    but everything else was working!
    thanks again to all of you!
    see ya
    scott

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you have CCleaner remove cookies (there is the option to check and uncheck this) then you will need to do a login at all your normal sites.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds