No audio controller recognized after reformat

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Prospect151, May 4, 2007.

1. Prospect151

Prospect151 Private E-2

Hey all -

I recently formatted my hard drive for a fresh start. Everything's working fine, programs all reinstalled, and video drivers updated. The problem is that my system isn't recognizing my sound card, and thus I get no sound (except of course for the annoying system *beep*). I called support, and was told I had a Soundblaster Audigy 4 card, which I downloaded the drivers for. The drivers wont install though because the setup says that no supported product is found on my computer. I'm not 100% sure where to go from here - either find help here or buy a new sound card.

I'm running XP home on an HP pavilion desktop (a1620y). The sticker on my PC says I have "integrated 7.1 sound". I'm not sure what make my motherboard is, or if this is necessary.

Any help is definitely appreciated, thanks!

Steve

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

This is just a shot in the dark, but try re-seating your sound card and trying to install the drivers again

3. Prospect151

Prospect151 Private E-2

Actually, I'm not quite sure where exactly the sound card is. I've opened up my computer, and 3 PCI slots are used for modem, wireless antenna, and monitor and s-video connectivity. The front access points for microphone/speakers travel directly to the motherboard, and the back access ports feed directly into a small (about 1 inch cubed) metal box. I assume that there is no actual 'card' because the sound is 'integrated'. Any suggestions/guidance?

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Try running your system info tool and check your sound card to be sure HP tech support was right.
    (Whoever got wrong tech advice?) ;)
    You get there by:
    Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Info>Components>Sound Device
    If it is the right one, then I'm lost. But if it isn't download the right driver.

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

P.S.
    When you open the case, you can locate the sound card by lining it up with the jacks where you see the speakers plug into the back of the computer (those jacks are part of the sound card).

6. Prospect151

Prospect151 Private E-2

Again, the ports in the back of the computer lead to a small metal box, not to a card. Also, I've already checked the system info - a sound card is not listed. Literally, my computer does not recognize that I have any sound controller at all.

7. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

8. Prospect151

Prospect151 Private E-2

thanks sach. that worked perfectly. I feel stupid, because that driver was located literally directly above the nVidia driver I had previously installed. Thanks again!!!

steve

9. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Glad it helped! I've been there myself on an old Compaq. I was just lucky I happened to remember the name of the driver I needed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds