venting..ahhhh!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dyamond, Apr 26, 2012.

1. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

I am so annoyed right now. I was talking with some of my coworkers about our phone system and 911 (and then my moron coworker decided to call 911 “just to see what would happen” even though I told him not to..argh). So I try saying something 4 separate times, and EACH time I get cut-off by someone. SO rude, so I tell them its rude and do you know what one of them told me???? Grow up.. yes. me. told ME to grow up because I expect people to treat other people with common courtesy??? I was also told to "enter the real world" WTH?? and then my other idiot coworker was laughing the whole time like a stinkin 4 year old.

That is how you have a civilized conversation, you talk, then I talk, then you talk. Then of course since the idiot dialed 911 the police show up and he says he got a hang up call and I said yea, my coworker was playing with the phone. My boss tried to cover for him but I was like nope, he was just messing around.

Seriously WTH is wrong with people?? What happened to common courtesy? I’m ready to burst…AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    :banghead

2. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Do you read Dilbert daily?

Seems to fit.

Careful as the economy is quite bad, and seeking another job is a drag. (been there, did not enjoy that.)

3. dyamond

Nah, I'm not looking for another job. I actually kind of enjoy mine and my coworkers aren't usually idiots, so I guess that's why I am so surprised by their lack of common courtesy/sense.

4. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

I generally prefer to work with the guys but there is that 4 year old boy side that comes out too often. Sounds like they've been watching too much reality tv and are testing out the obnoxious come backs that I haven't heard in a decade!

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Dy you have hit on one of my pet hates and not wanting to turn this into a HBT i will restrain my comments.
    I would seem you have in the USA the same disease that is rampant in Europe.
    The younger members of society have not learned how to say please or thank-you they have no respect for authority and feel that no one should ever question their attitude.
    On the roads many drivers will run into the car ahead rather than leave a gap for you to join the traffic and a lot of them drive BMWs (we have a lot here)
    I suppose we could lay the blame on my generation (i'm 65) because we did not discipline the kids when they were young.
    When i was a kid about 13 or 14 the local police sergeant caught me smoking and instead of taking me home to my father he gave me a slap at the back of my head, but if that were to happen today he would be brought up on an assault charge.
    How times have changed :(

6. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

"He/she who has no respect will never be respected" is a proverb that holds true in many cases.
    ~ I get that all the time. My voice is fairly soft and doesn't sound very authoritative. So people think that it is their big cue to just talk all over me. That's when I give 'em the "silent treatment" until they ask, "why have you stopped talking?" I say, "I've stopped talking because you've stopped listening. Therefore, there is no point." Then I usually get accused of being pedantic or some B.S. Is it pedantic or naive just to expect some 'common' courtesy?rolleyes
    Well, I hope that the fool who rang 911 to see what would happen got his butt fined for it. That's what happens in these parts.rolleyes

7. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

What a joke - calling you pedantic LOL
    They obviously don't know what it means, so Their Knowledge is quite lacking. ;)
    The guy who called 911 as a prank is a jerk.
    That's Not a Toy !!!
    Someone who really Needed help may not have gotten that as soon as possible.

Many people don't realize that police will respond to every call, even if the caller hangs up.
    It Could be serious.

8. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Francis Bacon wrote: “If a man be gracious and courteous to strangers, it shows he is a citizen of the world, and that his heart is no island cut off from other lands, but a continent that joins to them.”

I agree. :wine

9. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Although I'd never actually do it, my fantasy response to stupidity like this would be to go off on them with a slightly cleaned up version of Samuel L. Jackson's famous line in Pulp Fiction:

"What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' geeks, who'll go to work on the idiot here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin'? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your a**."

10. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

I think that they might have been trying to accuse me of being 'tiresome with details', as in the definition below. - Either way, it didn't make a lick of sense to me.:confused

Is it being a P.I.T.A. to simply explain something? If I don't - I'm "strange and enigmatic". Well, guess it goes back to not bothering in the first place if that's the attitude.rolleyes

11. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

With you there Bill, you know what it is though? I figured it out last week at a gas station. It's laziness.
    When I moved from the UK to Canada, one of the first things I realised was the lack of Please and Thank you's. Having been raised to "Mind my P's and Q's" and when given something you say "Thank you" and when asking you say "Please" or there would be a swift clip round the head for not saying it, rightly so.

So in this gas station, I pump and go in to pay, the lad (approx 22-24) behind the counter greeted me, I said: "Pump 3 and can I get a pack of smokes...( a pause as I look for money, then raised my head and exclaimed) ... Please, I should say"
    You know, in that manner where you realise you didn't say please so you add it to the end and softly scorn yourself.
    The reply was "This is Canada, please and thank you are implied"
    While I understand this was an attempt to let me know no offense had been taken, it irked me, to which I replied "It's never implied, that's why we have words for it and where I come from it's simply called being polite"
    He then said "I never thought you Australians were that concerned with it"
    Obviously now annoyed I said "Well I don't know about Australian since I'm English and in my opinion it will never be implied otherwise no one will ever say it"

It's 1 or 2 words in a sentence, implied?... really?... you're THAT lazy that you can't add a couple of words to a sentence?

As for not letting you talk, well that annoys me as well, my boss does that and will actually state "Wait, let me speak, just listen" which annoys the hell out of me, but I'm one of those people who will either just get louder or say "Excuse me, I wasn't finished" or if I'm annoyed it will come out more like "Oh I'm sorry, I wasn't aware I had finished speaking, but go ahead, I will continue after your exciting statement"

You know what else annoys me? When you are talking to someone and then someone else comes over and starts talking and the person you were alking to instantly starts listening to the interupter. This will prompt me to tap/poke the person on the shoulder with raised eyebrows and say "I'm still talking here" or I just walk away saying "Oh that's OK, I was finished anyway"

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Politeness and Chivalry.

Holding a door open for someone is a simple gesture that takes little time and effort.
    Men should always offer "Ladies first" even if you are carrying something heavy.
    Please and Thank you should be applied to any and all situations that require it.

I don't know whats wrong with society today, it might be a lack of discipline of the young that is rubbing off on older people or it might just be the way of the changing world. Whatever the reason, while there is still air in my lungs I will always be polite, why?.... no, wrong question.... Why not?

12. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

It costs nothing to be polite and indicates good character.
    One of the things that happens here in Belgium is that when you meet someone for the first time in the morning you will always shake hands and when parting for the last time in the evening also,with female friends it is the kiss on the cheek in place of the hand.

13. dyamond

I agree with you Bill but the sad thing is all my coworkers are older than me, some almost twice my age. I think it's just a manners thing, if you don't have manners when you are young, chances of you picking them up as you get older are slim to none.

@ Ned, I agree with everything you said. Once I got on a crowded bus and this younger gentleman, got up and offered me his seat. I was completely shocked as this hardly ever happens. Usually, its all the men stay seated (and sometimes glare at you) while all women & the elderly are standing. It's shameful. Once this guy actually made a blind woman GO AROUND HIM because he refused to move out of her way. Disgusting to say the least.

14. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

AND look them in the eye, another problem I see a lot.

Where my family lives in Europe, this is one thing that I see even the younger generations still do. Girls end up kissing most everyone on the cheek hello and goodbye though except upon being introduced.

15. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I HATE IT I HATE I HATE IT IT! Being interrupted that is,especially multiple time while your tryna explain something that's hard to explain.

I totally agree its soooo simple,one person talks then when they've finished you talk,when two people talk almost at the same time the person that speaks first has priority to talk or allow you to go first.

Then on top of that if you don't stop talking after you've been interrupted they get LOUDER and try to talk over you, WTF??????

I wish there were mute button to mute people who do this:-D I feel your pain Dy:(

16. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Here, there is a mute button.
    Better known by its common name.
    Fist.

17. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

I can relate, lady . . . seems courtesy is becoming a dying art. I agree with those here that say it is largely the fault of the parents - children learn by observing their parents, after all. If parents don't respect people, why should they?

Also the unwarranted sense of entitlement so many young people have doesn't help matters, in my opinion. This idea that the world owes them something tinges their interaction with that world, and not for the good.

18. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

He's wrong of course, however as far as "please" goes, I'm ok with the lack of it in certain situations. At work I don't feel the need to use please when asking co-workers for a hand as I don't expect them to say it, providing requests are non-demanding (like you asking for smokes). But "thanks" are offered EVERYTIME after help is received.

I guess I'm "new school" on this. If I have a seat I'm keeping it unless anyone comes along that needs it more than me, which includes disability, holding kids or bags etc,or someone much older. I won't give it up just because the person standind is a woman:duck

19. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

:-D Unfortunately the mute button might get you locked up. I also have noticed a lack of respect and manners, especially with younger folks. Several times I held the door open for a lady, and they were a bit surprised, almost looked like they did not know what to do. Sad.

20. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Held the door open for one once myself.
    Also got a funny look AND a comment.
    "What? You think I can't open doors myself ?"
    So I calmly closed the door and let her get it herself. After she had to set her bags down to handle it.

21. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Pesky manners work both ways, or they should huh Hrlow?

22. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Guess she was a "Womens' Libber" type.
    Just gave her what she apparently wanted.

23. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Sounds like my ex wife:mad

What? Can't a guy pretend he's been married,gone through a messy divorce to a she devil who hates men then crack a joke about her to empathize with other other guys? Geez

:-D

24. dyamond

Not really sure what you are referring to. Are you saying me expecting common courtesy is akin to women's lib??

25. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

First of all, calling 911 as a joke...as an adult??? That's a definite wtf is wrong with you.rolleyes

This is Such a man trait. They do it to themselves too, in normal conversation. Enter a woman and it's a thousand times worse because women talk more softly. I've noticed this so many times. It also drives me nuts.

Yep...completely obnoxious.

I seriously went 'omg...Rikky was married???' roflmao

26. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Dymond:
    Said no such thing.
    Comment you quoted is referring back to post 20.
    Unless you were that woman, in which case .......

27. dyamond

ohhhh..ok. Somehow I completely missed that post lol

28. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

not a problem.

29. WobblesRArt

WobblesRArt MajorGeek

And this will take the topic off aways...

"Manners while talking on a cell phone"

I just had a birthday a few weeks ago, I'm 58 years old. I grew up with a phone at our house. We even had two, one in my perents bedroom, that I could not use. There was a phone in the kitchen...when I Mom was speaking with someone, us kids were required to speak softer then normal......people that are using cell phones, speak as if they are home.....a small story, didn't happen to me, but a good friend.

They were waiting in line for a movie, woman in front of them on a "cell phone", turned around, and gave them the "MOM LOOK", to talk softer......They were of age 50's, and she a little younger......they smiled to each other, and keep speaking...

After she ended her call, she was still mad, and asked them "as to why them were so loud"?....and they said, If she wanted less noise, she could have walked a ways from the line. And that she was not at her home.

I am disabled, and not a lot of money coming in. So there is no need for a cell phone.......I always think people should think of me, when they are on their cell phones............long one, o well.........wobbles

30. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

OT, but Wobbles post reminded me of a bumper sticker I saw the other day. "Park your phone booth and drive your car." :-D

31. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

32. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

lmfao! :-d

33. dyamond

She holds you captive, huh? :p

34. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

I try to be a good husband.

35. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Just a rumor, but I heard she makes him dress up like Whoopi when he watches The View. Strange, but whatever floats your boat. :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds