C:\System Volume Information???

Discussion in 'Software' started by suesman, May 10, 2004.

1. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

Is this the directory for the Windoze System Restore? If so....can it all be safely deleted? I don't use it anymore as I use GoBack exclusively.

2. highly_volatile

highly_volatile Private First Class

Last edited: May 10, 2004
  3. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

Thanks man. I thought as much, just wanted to hear it from someone else. ;)

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

To make it simple:

Make sure System Restore is shut off, then:

Go to Safe Mode

Right click the folder, go to security tab.
    Give administrators group full control.

You should then be able to delete it.

6. Major Attitude

Ahh, wondered if you could kill it in safe mode, thanks.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, I'm pretty sure its doable in normal mode too, but for the sake of the differences between Xp Home and Pro, and security tab, I just listed Safe Mode.

In Safe Mode, simple file sharing is disabled in both OSes and saves some steps.

8. highly_volatile

highly_volatile Private First Class

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Access is denied because you are not allowed access to it by default.

Check above solution.

10. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

System Volume Information is not exclusively used for System Restore (Folder also exist on Win2k). System Restore places its files in the directory _Restore within System Volume Information

I would not recommend to delete the entire System Volume Information folder (Though so far I only know of the Distributed Transaction Coordinator which also places its file in that folder)

Instead the advice about just disabling System Restore (Which causes it to delete all system restore points automaticly) seems better.

11. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

Well it doesn't seem to delete everything just by disabling System Restore. I actually disabled it a while back & while most is gone from the folder, there are still files in there. I have no idea what they are, as they are name in a sequence of numbers. Is there some way to tell when this folder was created & what these files in there might be?

12. Major Attitude

Depends on how you are viewing it. Click on the folder with Windows Explorer and choose View - Details if not already done (this should also always be done so Anti virus programs can work well and Microsoft should have details on by default for this reason)

Now go to Tools - Folder Options and then the View tab. Make sure Hide extensions for known file types is unchecked and check show hidden files and folders. This way, you can be sure that you can see whats there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds