CamStudio- any help?

Discussion in 'Software' started by szorn, Apr 13, 2007.

1. szorn

szorn Private E-2

Hi,

I just found this website while conducting a search for a problem I am having. Hope this is the right place for this question.

I am attempting to use some basic software to convert avi files to flash. I have actually tried 3 different pieces of software.

The first software is called Instant Video Suite (which includes CamStudio). When I attempted to install it I got the following error message- "flash.ocx DLL/OCX: DLL register server failed; code 08x80028001c" Then is gave me the option to try again, abort, or continue. I tried again without luck, then chose abort and attempted the installation from scratch. I got the same error message but decided to choose "continue with the installation". The program would start but it wouldn't allow me to open the avi files. So, I uninstalled it. Next I tried CamStudio by itself. It installed without any problems but still wouldn't allow me to open the avi files. The final program I tried is called "Instant Video Streamer". This one installed without problems but doesn't seem to function properly. It just has a "browse" button that you click on to find the avi file and once you choose the file a pop-up says "starting conversion" but then I get an error box that says "conversion failed may be a codec error".

Honestly I am new to all of this and don't have a clue. Does anyone have any ideas on what the issue might be or how I might find out. I have conducted a net search for these error codes but haven't had much luck finding any information of value.

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
    Steve

2. szorn

szorn Private E-2

UPDATE: I decided I better try CamStudio out just to see if the program was working at all. I recorded a short clip of desktop activity and then converted that clip to flash with absolutely no problems. However, I am unable to open any avi file that wasn't created with CamStudio. Is there setting in CamStudio somewhere that I need to adjust in order to open avi files from other sources? I read that CamStudio converts avi files regardless of where they were created. Is this not true? Is there anything I can do to correct this?

Also, after I created the avi file in CamStudio I attempted to convert it to flash with the "Instant Video Streamer" but I get the same error message "Unsuccessful converting, possible codec error. Please see codec list." Any ideas on how I might fix this?

Thanks,
    Steve

3. szorn

szorn Private E-2

Ok, here is another update...

I used Gspot as suggested on another forum to check the videos out. It says that I have all of the codecs for the videos in question.

I tried the "Instant Video Streamer" from 3 different sources but still get the same problem error.

I read a guide on another forum for putting a video on my website. In an attempt to follow the guide I installed Riva FLV Encoder (from 2 different sources) and when I try to open this software nothing happens. It won't open or run at all.

I have read about tons of problems with Super (another video converter that was suggested) and since I am already having issues that I can't fix I don't think Super is a good idea.

Does anyone have an ideas on what the problems might be or how I can find out? If not, does anyone know of any other computer or video forums that I can ask go to for assistance?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds