Antivirus for Droid 2

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mimsy, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I have a Droid phone! :) Motorola Droid 2, to be precise. I'm hunting for themes and wallpapers, and trying to find an AV app. There are lots of AVs in the app store, some free, some you pay for, and I'm trying to find a good one, that does the job while not using up too much resources.

I asked this question in a forum for mobile gaming and was told not to bother since "Android has no viruses". I replied with a polite query into what the two trojans that Kaspersky Labs identified in the app store should called then, if they are not viruses?

While waiting to find out, I'm doing what I should have done to being with: Asking Major Geeks. :)

Suggestions on good and preferably free AV apps for Android?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Mimsy

Not tried these apps as I dont have a droid based phone, but was a few months back reviewing AV and Security apps for smartphones as they are starting to be targeted more, reason is like all things the more users of a hardware item the more it will be targeted, especially as we now can easily shop and bank via our phones.

http://www.droidsecurity.com/ (free version is advert based last time I looked)
    Dr.Web Antivirus for Android (check the Android Market for this one as I was under the impression it was free for Android, but I maybe mistaken)

3. Mimsy

I'll check them out. Thanks! :)

4. Mimsy

Bumping this briefly to confirm that yes, Dr Web is free for Android. It's the first hit on a search for "Dr web" in the app market, and it's much lighter on battery life than the other AVs I tried.

Thanks for the tip. :)

5. da.bell

da.bell Private First Class

I have an HTC Evo and utilize Lookout. It's free and seems to be a good app.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds