Slow menu response

Discussion in 'Software' started by 90046, Feb 20, 2003.

1. 90046

90046 Private E-2

I'm experiencing something new on a Dell 8250 P4 2.8Ghz, 512 MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, Dell 1702FP Digital monitor, WinXPHome. After setting up the machine and without any tweaks some windows, i.e. Start menu experience hesitation upon opening. I don't recall this issue with any other systems that I've handled. Can this be fixed?

Cheers

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I noticed this when I first installed XP, after some tweaking of menu settings I put the slooowness of the menu opening down to the fact that XP learns which programs you are using *Personalized Menus* the most and only shows them in the programs list and hides the rest until you expand the menu.

I unticked that option and the menus open as fast.

goto Start > Settings > Taskbar & Start Menu > Start Menu > Customize and in the options list untick Use Personalized Menus

See if that works?

3. 90046

90046 Private E-2

Thanks Halo, I'll give that a try the next time I'm at the machine.

4. Tater

Tater Tot

There is also a registry tweak to speed it up. It's under current user/control panel/desktop I believe. The value is pre-set to 400, but if you change it to zero and save it makes a huge difference. A very cool little tweak.

5. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

6. mutz_nutz_uk

mutz_nutz_uk Private First Class

Personal favourite tweaker for this and many other settings is X-Teq X Setup 6 which allows many tweaks, lots of settings adjustments, and is nice enough to give a brief, if slightly quirky, explanation of the tweaks and how to use them.

7. 90046

90046 Private E-2

Once Tweak UI for XP, or WIn98 is installed, does it make any changes to your system? Whenever I installed it for Win98, some options are already checked. I'm curious to know if pre-checked options have automatically been registered in the registry.

Cheers

8. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

My guess is when Tweak UI shows that options are already checked then it is just showing their default value. (Same I believe is the case with XSetup)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds