usb 2.0 drivers for windows me

Discussion in 'Software' started by hugh750, Oct 23, 2007.

1. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

I'm trying to find usb 2.0 drivers for windows me that i'm wanting to istall on my old gateway essex 2 pc that originaly came with windows xp so i can run old pc games that don't run on xp:cry.

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Hello Hugh.

There are no automatic USB 2 (or 1) drivers for windows 9x / Me. You have to get the drivers from the manufacturer of the particular device you are connecting.

Let us know what this is and we may be able to help further.

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Hmmm, why do you need usb drivers for "old pc games that don't run on xp"?

Anyway, USB 2.0 requires hardware that has USB 2.0 capability. Your Win ME machine may not have that hardware capability, so seeking a USB 2.0 driver is going to be a waste of time. However, you can add the capability by installing a PCI to USB2.0 Card, such as Koutech PCI to USB2.0 Card Model IO-PU520 - Retail. Then, you would still need USB 2 drivers for specific devices for Windows ME, as studiot said.

4. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

I'm asking because my old gateway pc was made back in 2003 and it does have usb 2.0 support.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You don't need drivers. ME is plug and play. (I had a ME notebook and anything I plugged in, was recognized). If you plug something into a USB port that is USB 2, it will run at that speed. The only OS that needed specific drivers to be loaded was 98SE. There was also an early driver for 95, provided the motherboard supported it. My old 95 had support and I used that driver to get things working on the USB ports.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Being that USB 2.0 was finalized in 2001, it would still require a driver download. I believe they originally came from Windows Update.

7. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

To verify whether you have USB 2.0, look in Device Manager, under Universal Serial Bus Controllers. If you have USB 2.0, you will see one or more items there with the words "Enhanced Host Controller" as part of the title. The key word is Enhanced.

8. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

Does anyone know where i can download all of the windows me updates since microsoft no longer supports windows me?

9. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

10. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

11. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

I'm guessing that it is unsupported then ?

searching for the 500s on google I found mention of it having usb2, whether they need to be activated in the bios is another story.

the second link that I provided you with states that ME is a "USB 2.0 Supported Operating System" and makes no mention of needing to acquire a driver.

12. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

This may still be a solution. It comes with a driver disk and supports Windows 98/98SE/Me/2000/XP.

13. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

I want to thank everyone who helped i found usb 2.0 drivers for my old computer i found them at intel's web site (it's has an intel motherboard) and it works!!:D

14. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

I now get pci system bus management error in system properties:cry,
    What is it?:eek:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  15. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Go back to the intel site, found your motherboard and get the chipset drivers.
    In fact, it might be a good idea to download all the drivers for your motherboard and burn them to a CD for safekeeping. If you need to reinstall anything, getting a driver from a CD is far easier than getting online and trying to track them down again.

16. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

Sorry for the mistake in my last message i ment pci system management bus:eek:.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds