Laptop cord

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wlfwo, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Wlfwo

Wlfwo Private E-2

We have a HP Pavilion ze2000, we bought a new HP DL606A#ABA 65 watt cord from HP to replace the old one. My son says the part that actually plugs into the laptop itself is hot. Is this normal?
    Thanks Nancy

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Well, how hot is hot? If it is warm to the touch, I would think it is most likely ok, if it is burning your fingers hot to the touch, discontinue using that and get another!

Hopefully someone will stop by with more info. My laptop plug is room temp.

E

3. Wlfwo

Wlfwo Private E-2

He says it's hot to the touch. I feel that it's an internal problem with the socket since this is a new cord. Is the socket itself replaceable?

Thanks Nancy

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Yes they are if you have soldering skills. Which I don't, so I am out on this one. Sorry I can't help more.

E:-D

5. Wlfwo

Wlfwo Private E-2

That is what I was afraid of. Thanks though.
    Nancy

6. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Wlfwo,
    About the only thing that would heat the power plug would be a very poor connection and arcing. The computer could not take that and would be shuting down and all sorts of crazy things. Probably the plug is being heated from the heat generated within the enclosure from the CPU etc. Is the area around the connector also warm?

Good Luck, Jim

7. Wlfwo

Wlfwo Private E-2

I don't know, he didn't say. I shall ask him if he will check it when he gets home from school. I don't want to mess with it myself because he is at the 'ugly' teen age when if something goes wrong it will be my fault forever or until he grows out of it or I threaten to hit him with a board. LOL I will post it when I know.
    Thanks Nancy

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds