network card appears in Unknown in Device manager

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stevvie, Jan 16, 2010.

1. stevvie

stevvie Private E-2

For some reason I have NO network section in device manager. All my network stuff appears in unknown but works perfectly.
    here's a pic of it
    [​IMG]
    has ANY body got any idea how to fix this. I have tried removing the device and rescanning. I have tried removing the device and adding it with the add new hardware applet in control panel but that too has NO network icon.

PS this is on windows XP (but that should be apparent from the screenshot :) )
    Thanks

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

This means that the Cards Drivers are not properly installed.

Make sure that you have reasdy the proper drivers.

Delete these from the Devices Manger. Reboot, when asked point to the Drivers.

http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html

3. stevvie

stevvie Private E-2

As I said DONE that. So Far I have removed the drivers rebooted and reinstalled drivers, they always go into unknown devices. I have also tried removing the drivers rebooting and then adding the device through add new hardware control panel applet with the SAME results. I am also missing the network devices in the add hardware list.
    Surely if the drivers weren't installed properly I would have a yellow icon next to them ?? I get NO error code in the drivers tab on these drivers. I have also tried an adding PCI card and them drivers ALSO go into unknown.

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

If the devices work perfectly then I would recommend running CCleaner to see if there is a registry issue causing these problems.

5. stevvie

stevvie Private E-2

yep run CCleaner, found a few reg errors like always but nothing to do with networking.

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Don't see one for modems either.
    What type and model of machine?

7. stevvie

stevvie Private E-2

there wont't be one for modems as there is NO modem installed. no type and model of machine as it's home built. This has been running this install of windows for just over a year now. I have the realtek built in NIC on my MSI NEO2 FR motherboard into a Netgear DG823GT router (and that all my network consists of with Cfos installed for traffic shaping) .

8. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Try going to Control Panel, Network Connections and ensure that your card is listed and connected.
    May have to install a third party plug-in card.

9. stevvie

stevvie Private E-2

already tried a PCI card as I stated in my second post. The Local Area Connection is there in network connections and is working ok. There is no slowdown in speed or raised pings on my connection.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds