Problem loading OS - Windows Server 2008

Discussion in 'Software' started by ScubaSteve519, Oct 15, 2008.

1. ScubaSteve519

ScubaSteve519 Private E-2

Alright, I'm trying to get my computer running again, and it's been a very frustrating process, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Anywho, I had gotten my computer originally in the fall of 2005, and my hard drive failed this past May. I finally got another to replace it (80 GB, SATA, internal), and all I think I need to do now is load an OS onto it to get it up and running. I had tried to load Windows XP Home edition onto it, and the computer read the CD, but told me I couldn't upload XP Home because I didn't have a previous version of Windows on the hard drive (I guess it was just an update CD). I then got a version of Windows Server 2008 (thank you, Dream Spark), that I downloaded to someone else's computer, and tried to upload that via DVD to my computer, but the computer didn't read the disk; it went right to the "No boot device available, press F1 to retry..." message that has been my nemesis for a few months. I know the drive can read DVDs. Does anyone have any troubleshooting advice for me? The OS download was an *.iso file, and I've checked my boot sequence and it says that both my onboard CD drive and hard drive are present. I'm completely confuddled.

2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Possibly need to copy the ISO to the hard drive and then burn it to a disk using a program like IMGBurn.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/ImgBurn_d4870.html
    Have never tried a DVD with IMGBurn but believe it will work. I know k3b will do the trick.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. ScubaSteve519

Bugballou: I did copy it to the hard drive, then burnt it to a disk.

plodr: Is there a way to load those drivers without being able to access the internet from my computer?

5. ScubaSteve519

Alright, I tried the "Press F6 to load additional drivers" for the Windows XP Home disk during the blue screen setup, but it just seemed to check my floppy drive, which I don't have one, and told me I couldn't upload drivers. Another thing: I downloaded that Windows Server 2008 *.iso file to a Mac, and then burnt it onto a DVD for use on a PC. Would that create a problem, going from Mac to PC like that?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds