XP admin login issue - sensitive issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by irishguy79, Mar 11, 2009.

1. irishguy79

irishguy79 Private E-2

Guys, I require some advice.
    I need to access the admin account of an XP machine. There is a limited user account but obviously from here I cannot access the admin users files. The reason I need to do this is because the admin is recently deceased and his family have asked me can this be done to look for photographs from his account/folders. I'm quite sure there is a way to do this as I heard of it on a support forum a long time ago. I know this is a sensitive type request but its 100% genuine and please PM me if you don't want to disclose this info on the thread. Any help very much appreciated.

thanks

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try F8 at startup to enter Safe Mode. You should see an Administrator account. When asked for password leave it blank and hit enter. See if it allows you in.

If it doesn't because there is a password set, then you will need an XP installation CD to attempt to reset the password.

3. Toddzio

Toddzio Private E-2

4. irishguy79

irishguy79 Private E-2

thanks alot guys. I just need to get to the laptop and make sure its XP. I'm hoping it is, but I guess there is a chance its Vista which I guess will be harder to do. WIll update when I know more. Thanks for the links.

5. irishguy79

irishguy79 Private E-2

Ok the OS is actually windows vista home premium. There is a limited account, and a admin/user account. I need to get into the admin user account.
    does the XP bypass (cntl alt del twice on startup) work on vista? any experts out there? cheers

6. irishguy79

irishguy79 Private E-2

a friend of mine is going to walk me through using a linux boot cd tool he has to do it. Will test it on a tes laptop first to make sure its ok. I know there is elements of risk involved but this seems to be the only option to get into the admin users account.

7. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Boot up a knoppix cd and copy the files off the drive. If the files are all you need, then just have them run the recovery cd so they setup the 'new' system. No 'hacking' required.

8. irishguy79

irishguy79 Private E-2

yeah might need to do it this way. ran the linux tool. it found two non-admin passwords for users, but could not get the admin one. possibly because it has £$")^ characters or symbols in it. who knows.
    might try what your suggesting here...would be ideal to just give the family the login or reset the password for them, but next option is to pll off all the files etc.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds