Sony Vaio VGN-498E Left Touchpad Button isn't working - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nevergiveup, Sep 2, 2012.

1. nevergiveup

nevergiveup Private E-2

So about a week ago my laptop (Sony Vaio VGN-498E) decided to through a new one my way - the left touchpad button just ups and stops registering clicks! Being fairly handy around a screwdriver, I disassembled the entire thing down to the touchpad. Physically the touchpad and ribbon look perfect, as do the buttons themselves. All plastic is strong and no sign of aging. So I ruled that out pretty quick.

So I tested the actual physical buttons on the motherboard itself. When I press the small black right circular button, it triggers right-clicking. But the black left circular button, when pressed, doesn't trigger anything to happen. The strength of the press doesn't matter, it just refuses to register that a "click" has occured.

Has anyone heard of anything happening like this? Is it the physical button on the motherboard that's died? Or is it another part of the motherboard? I don't have the money right now to go out and buy a new laptop so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me.

I can solder moderately so if it's something I can take off and replace that'd be great but I don't know how to test to see what's went bad on the motherboard or in the button.

Thanks for any help guys.

2. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

Hello and welcome to MajorGeeks. :wave

Is this in Normal boot mode?
    Does it do the same thing if you boot into Safe Mode?

What Operating System are you currently running?

3. nevergiveup

nevergiveup Private E-2

Thank you and hello to you good sir! I'm running Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2, it does the same thing in both safe mode and normal boot. The only key that seems to be messed up is the physical left mouse button. It's so bizarre that it'd just up and die like this, first time I've heard of something happening to the push button on the motherboard so I figured I'd ask around and see if anyone else has had an issue like this.

4. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

This thread, may give you some insight, but unlike that problem your mouse button doesn't seem to be working at all. Which I also have never seen, or heard of before.

If that thread doesn't help, apologizes in advance if it doesn't, maybe one of the more knowledgeable members here can assist you farther. :)

5. nevergiveup

nevergiveup Private E-2

I appreciate the help buddy :) Unfortunately it does seem that it is hardware related as this problem exists in all environments where before a week ago it didn't. I've tried Linux environment, Mini XP and of course the default Vista + safe mode.

I'm using a wireless mouse for now so that I can actually use it but it's such a hassle :( I love touchpads (I know, I know, probably in the extreme minority here lol) and I hope I can fix it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds