major problem, computer cant find my user profile. help please.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thelicker, Aug 26, 2005.

1. thelicker

thelicker Private E-2

it says it may be corrupt and uses a temp profile when the computer is turned on. all my desk top settings and what not are deleted each time the computer is restarted.. is this a problem anyone has any exp. in?

i lost over 1000 pics my girlfriend and I took over the four years we been together because the folder was on my desktop. i really need help on this one.
    thanks in advance guys!

2. trashguy

trashguy Private E-2

to find the folder with the pictures (assuming it hasnt been deleted) you need to open my computer, go into your C: drive, go into the fold labled documents and settings, the next window should display all the profiles that are still on that machine, choose the profile that folder was saved under, next choose the folder that says desktop, and this will have all the shortcuts, program icons, and folders that were on the desktop for that particular user.

3. thelicker

thelicker Private E-2

thanks. i see what you mean, unfortunatly they are deleted.

any idea how to rectify the problem of my compute profile being corrupt?
    im forced to use a temp profile each time i restart the computer. i understabnd i can still have my favorites but i cant keep my desktop up if it keeps running as a temp..

4. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

5. thelicker

thelicker Private E-2

yes!!

that restoration program found the deleted pics!
    i owe you buddy. thank you so much.. :D

still need to find a solution for the temp profile thing though..

6. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

You could do a repair install if you are running xp ,the install only affects windows files not your personal files.

No problem at all i now what it is like to loose files, that is why I always make backups to a disk of whatever is important learned the hard way

7. thelicker

thelicker Private E-2

how do i do this?

8. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

9. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

I might add to make a backup of your pictures just in case,and anything else important]

This is to be on the safe side.

10. theefool

theefool Geekified

Is this xp? Anyway, why don't you create a new user account, then log onto that new user account. Do you still have any issues? If not, then transfer everything to this new account.

What OS is this again?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds