What do I need to play .m4b files?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bomba, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Bomba

Bomba Private First Class

I spent quite a bit of money downloading a whole set of audio books. However when I opened the zipped files, I found out that they are all formatted as .m4b files and windows doesn't know what to do with them. One of my friends said that perhaps I could convert them but I wouldn't even begin to know how. Any help is much appreciated.

(I am not a geek. I am a dweeb!)

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

According to augie's link, you should be able to open audio books (m4b files) with iTunes. Visit the MultiMedia section here at MajorGeeks, download and install a codec pack (I recommend Storm codec pack; it has Media Player Classic built-in). That should allow you to play the files in the media player of your choice: either Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic (one of my personal favorites) or another player from the MultiMedia section... good luck! :D

hd2k

4. Bomba

Bomba Private First Class

Guys I don't have an itunes so I guess that I really screwed up this time. I have downloaded several things now and I either don't understand what they are supposed to do or I am screwing up what I am supposed to do. I am going to just write off this and borrow the books on tape from the library.

5. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Did you try the codec pack and Media Player Classic? Maybe try VLC Player? You could always install iTunes. These are all free programs, and are very to install and use, plus you have all the tech support you need here at MajorGeeks ;)
    Try the codecs and/or iTunes and let us know how it goes. The m4b files are designed for iTunes so it should have no problem with playback. iTunes is free for download and use; it's available in the MultiMedia section here at MajorGeeks.

hd2k

BTW- you do NOT need an iPod to use iTunes.

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds