Need help setting up wireless router linksys BEFW11S4

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whicky1978, Dec 12, 2005.

1. whicky1978

whicky1978 Staff Sergeant

I followed the intructions and I was able to broadcast an SSID and detect it, but I could not surf the internet.

I am using a 3com wireless card and a PCIMIA ethernet card.

My OS is Win. XP, and I am using a thinkpad laptop. I am trying to route DSL through my router.

I'm not sure what my "internet confituration type" is, but my DSL modem has a PPP/ACT light, and I was wonder if I should go back and set it for PPPoE.

Any help or ideas is appreciated

2. whicky1978

OK, I looked under "status" on my connection, and its definately DHCP, so I have no idea what I did wrong. I followed the directions exactly, I think.

3. gay2jp

gay2jp Private First Class

Depends on your ISP and which DSL modem you have. Some run PPPoE from software on the PC, some run it from the modem.

For Bellsouth, I had to configure PPPOE in my router, and provide login ID and password there.

A very good reference site is www.dslreports.com where you can often find setup info for your ISP and also forums for your specific hardware supplier.

4. whicky1978

How do I search dslreports.com? I live in a remote area, and there is only one company that provides broadband, PeoplesTel.net or Teleclipses.net (same company bascially). The other option is satellite. They don't require a login or anything.

5. gay2jp

gay2jp Private First Class

You would get to dslreports.com the same way you get to majorgeeks.com

It is not clear to me how you are connecting to the internet. Are you on dial-up, or do you have a DSL or other type of broadband connection?

6. Arromes

Arromes Private E-2

Here's some good advise on making a home based wireless network

!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive had a linksys wireless netowrk for years and I HATE it with a passion. Sure, its nice not having to drag wires through the house, but I've had so much stress with it from the start. Low reception, expenses to improve that reception arn't worth it, limited speed, IT KEEPS DISCONNECTING:mad: ......
    ok, I wont rant anymore.....

Ok, to start, bring your computer in the same room as the router. Some obvious things that you've prrobably already checked, but still should be pointed out to.

1. Make sure your using the right signal. (G is most common in my area)
    2. Make sure your internet connection is functioning properly
    3. make sure router is connected properly and have a DIRECT connection to the internet sorce, not a split connection or an indirect connection from a seconed ethernet port (this probelm occured with my father when he tried installing one)

ok, with the obvious out of the way

run the linksys wireless wizzard to confirm the settings and driver settings. Then, you check your network connections. Make sure that a wireless connection is established and enabled. Also disable any direct connection your computer may be trying to make, it must be running through the wireless card/port only.

here comes the part most people miss. Linksys has the probelm from time to time.

If your computer is recieving a connection, but little or no data is being sent or recieved, disconnect the routers power coard for 15 min. or more. The purpose of this is because of a flaw that linksys routers sometimes have. they may begin sending a signal without actually fully connecting to any computer.

once the time is up, the router had been fully discharged. Re-connect the routers power and enter your computers signal area again. Repair the connection to be on the safe side by clicking on the 'repair' button in the menu.

if that doesn't work, or you're confused on some of it, say so and Ill try sending step by step instructions via screenshots.

7. whicky1978

Arromes

I think my router is a b signal, my wireless card does not do the 54 megabyte G signal-- or do you mean something different.

Also, I can connect to the internet using just my DSL modem. I can configure my router using an ethernet cord or my wireless card. My computer can detect my SSID, but I can't surf the net.

I bought my router from eBay used. They sent me the wrong CD, emailed asking for a trade, but they have not responded. I am wondering if I could download it for free? I've had to use the installation guide (paper) to set it up.

This is something I will try. Should I power down the DSL modem as well? I am supposed to according to my installation guide once it is configured and I am then turn it back on and restart my computer (laptop).

Also, I will try my email address and password on the PPPoE setting; its worth a shot, however my "network details" under "status" on the icon in the system tray says that I am DHCP? Is a PPPoE setting have a static IP?]

Thank you so much. :)

8. Arromes

Arromes Private E-2

I merely ment to make sure both your router and card/reciever of some sort are the same signal type. Believe me, Ive seen people goof the simplist of things when it comes to computer.

"I dont understand it, It just shut down and wont turn back on"
    "Well, is it plugged in?"
    "Ummm I dont know."

A line I've heard wayyy too often.....

anyways. As for the missing disc. You might be able to e-mail linksys for a copy and they might comply. I dont know, I havn't worked with them once I got the network working. However the Installation wissard does more than installs the driver, it configures the card to your IP

You can probably easily find the drivers for it on the internet. (check Downloads.com for drivers, they usualy have what you need) but even with the driver, you may need the network wizzard program.

I do naturally because of my internet connection. The cable in my house has the tendency to go out some times and I unplug the modem with the router to make sure. Since the guide tells you to, I'd do it. It wont harm your computer or settings.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds