Disappearing garbage can

Discussion in 'Software' started by kelnav, Feb 26, 2009.

1. kelnav

kelnav Private E-2

Vista desktop garbage can icon keeps disappearing. The words "Recycle Bin" are still there.
    Also, can you turn Vista off in power saver mode because all I have is sleep mode.
    Thanks.

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

For the recycle thing, just go to the desktop and press F5. It should reappear.

As for the power button, have a look at the power options in the control panel.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought power saving mode was the same as sleep mode.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Are you using any type of customised theme with your Vista? just as some do play havok with the bin, especially if uxtheme.dll has been edited with a theme app that allows you to use non standard themes.

As for power, are you refering to is the traditional Shutdown button as it needs adding back to Start > Shutdown as in the below pic, from its default in many cases "sleep" button.

To do this click Start > Control Panel > System and Maintanence > Power Options > under which ever of the prefered plans are click "change plan setting" > "Change advanced power settings" > then scroll down to "power buttons and lid" and click the + to open up the menu > click the + next to "start menu power button" and in the dropdown choose "shutdown" then click Apply and the Start > Power button is changed from Orange = Sleep to Red = Shutdown

[​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds