Windows System32

Discussion in 'Software' started by gulfvis, May 28, 2006.

1. gulfvis

gulfvis Private E-2

I don't know what I have done, but when I boot my pc, the Windows System32 page and files comes up on my screen. How can I correct this? I can't use System Restore, because I had it turned off to run some spyware scans in Safe Mode. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
    PS: I am running WinXP Home Edition. Everything boots up OK except the additional page.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Is the computer part of a network ... do you have mapped drives? :confused: :confused:

3. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> I don't know what I have done, but when I boot my pc, the Windows System32 page and files comes up on my screen. gulfvis <<

When you say: "Windows System32 page" I'm assuming that you mean Windows System32 "folder"

Anyway, this Windows System32 "folder" popping up at each boot is a fairly common problem for users of Windows NT 4.0, 2000, and XP operating systems. It's caused by an erroneous entry in one of the Registry keys that control programs launched at start-up.

The good news is that there is an 'easy fix' available at Kellys-Korner-xp.com.

Here's the Solution: Go to this Kellys-Korner link and when you get to that webpage; scroll down to #260 on the right-hand side, and click on the "System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot" entry.

NOTE: To use the VBS Files: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double click the vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is done.

Good Luck!

4. gulfvis

gulfvis Private E-2

I tried the suggested link on Kelly's Corner but it said the script would not work to repair the registry. Any other ideas how to crrect this?

5. TimW

Try this:
    Go to Start/Run and type in: msinfo32 From there navigate to Software Environment, Startup Programs. The Command column will show you the exact command line used. You are looking for a listing that uses a long file name/path with spaces in it, that is not enclosed in quotes. If found that is the culprit. Go to Start/Run/msconfig/Startup. If this is the case go to Start/Run/Regedit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run Look here for the program/folder in question. If listed, double click the entry and put the full path name in quotes. And Verify that all the values in these keys do not contain any incorrect, incomplete, or null entries (such as ""). System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q170/0/86.asp :) :)

6. Shotgun_Shortz

Shotgun_Shortz Corporal

hmmm, You could try looking in the Startup folder under All Programs, or go to Run and type in msconfig and look around for that folder(Not recommended for inexperianced users).

7. gulfvis

gulfvis Private E-2

I am not good at using the Regit so if anyone has other solutions please post. Thanks

8. TimW

That's supposedly the fix ....so create a restore point ...restart the computer and do what microsoft directs you to do ....It's mostly finding the values (easy ...then in edit ...choose modify and replace/delete a value) ...restart ....see if things are good ...if something is worse ...restore to before the "fix".

9. gulfvis

gulfvis Private E-2

I ran Regedit and only found one entry that had NO VALUE SET. I didn't find anything with just a single ". Should everything have a value set to it?

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Does it happen in Safe Mode?

11. gulfvis

gulfvis Private E-2

It does not happen in safe mode.

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Go to msconfig. Uncheck every startup item.

Then narrow it down.

Its a lot easier to find a culprit when you know its name :)

13. gulfvis

gulfvis Private E-2

I tried everything in the startup but that didn't correct the problem. Thanks

14. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

You did as Adrynalyne suggested and you are still getting it / couldn't find anything?

Go into your "Control Panel" and open "Folder Options", under the "View" tab make sure that "Restore previous folder windows at logon" is unchecked, click Apply/OK.

Steve

15. gulfvis

gulfvis Private E-2

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately, that didn't work either.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds