No 'click' sound when navigate browser in window explorer/ internet explorer

Discussion in 'Software' started by happyfeet, Jun 1, 2011.

1. happyfeet

happyfeet Private E-2

Hi,

The 'click' sound I used to hear is no more when I navigate the window explorer/ internet explorer (IE8).

I done scanning with Malwarebyte, SuperAnti Spyware, AVAST all showing no infection. Had done the Glary Utility and Ccleaner cleaning, still there is no 'click' sound as it used to be.

I found out that the speaker icon next to Start Navigation in Sound And Audio Device Properties is missing. It doesn't show up no matter how I applied a sound for it either on a new scheme or window default scheme.

I have read the thread on http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=142308 and follow instruction on http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthr...n+sound+events, whereby I go to registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER and delete the Default value on the right hand side, then reboot. Issue still not solved.

I noticed that in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ AppEvent \ Scheme \ Apps \ Explorer \ Navigating \ .Default showing on the right with data value = C:\WINDOWS\media\Windows Navigation Start.wav

In the HKEY_USER \ .Default \ AppEvent \ Scheme \ Apps \ Explorer \ Navigating \ .Current and .Default folder both showing on the right with data value = %SystemRoot%\media\Windows XP Start.wav

Are the two registry correct?

Hope you can help me. Thank you.

Regards,

happyfeet

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The click sound is found in Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Sound tab.
    Scroll down to Windows Explorer, then Start Navigation.

3. happyfeet

happyfeet Private E-2

Hi plodr,

Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned in my post, I have tried that many times.

I tried to apply Windows Navigation Start sound or apply other sound , rename the scheme , set a new scheme , no matter how I apply the speaker icon just won't stick to Start Navigation.

4. happyfeet

happyfeet Private E-2

I just try to follow the READ & RUN ME FIRST Malware Removal Guide, to see whether my issue can be solved. But, still not solved yet.

It's OK scan with SAS, MBAM with result - no threat found.

Problem to run ComboFix - it detected realtime scanner active - AVG antivirus 2011 (I had uninstalled this last month and change to use Avast currently). So, I downloaded the AVG remover and runs it and a log file created on desktop without any auto-restart my computer.
    But I still continue to run ComboFix and when the blue screen is at the "scan for infected files" , it scan with the cursor blinking for a while , then the cursor disappear and the blue screen freeze. So I skip this step.

It's OK run RootRepeal and MGtool and log created.

Try to click folder within window explorer and navigate in internet explorer still no 'click' sound. :cry

Attached Files:

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

6. Rocktot

Rocktot Private First Class

Can you click on the sound file and play it, does it still work?

7. happyfeet

happyfeet Private E-2

Hi Rocktot,

The sound file and any other sound is working fine but only this 'click' sound when browsing the folder or navigate internet is missing. :cry

8. Rocktot

Ok, and in the control panel, Sounds and Audio, it shows the sound 'speaker' on all the Explorer options? Like : < Complete Navigation (Expl 8)?

9. happyfeet

happyfeet Private E-2

Not all Explorer option but the default one (Windows Default scheme) except the default Start Navigation has no speaker icon (in the Windows Default has speaker icon).

I have tried select the Windows Default scheme which shows the icon next to Start Navigation but after I click the Apply button the icon is missing from Windows Default scheme. When I close the Sound And Audio Device Properties and reopen it again, Window Default scheme has the icon next to it but still the issue not solved.

I tried to apply Windows Navigation Start sound or apply other sound , rename the scheme , set a new scheme , no matter how I apply the speaker icon just won't stick to Start Navigation. :cry

10. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

I'm sorry you cannot get that "click" sound to work for you.

Personally I consider that sound to be one of the most annoying that MS has and I remove it from my sounds, but that's just me. Maybe you could use another one of the MS sounds to equal the "Start Navigation" sound or download 1 from somewhere to equal the sound you want.

11. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

I've seen some posts on other sites about people not being able to use the "click" sound because they upgraded from IE6 to IE7 or IE8.

12. Rocktot

Yea, Im thinking rename a different audio file that isnt used much, and try that for the moment, I don't think they have to be the same size, and I think you can change them around. (Sorry, its amature hour) :p

My Sounds show that "Start Navigation" does not have the speaker icon either, but it works,(So that may not be it, there are a few others that have no speaker also) click, when you open the page, and click when it goes there, so its a double (anoying) click....

hmmm, now, you have to add the sound at the bottom and youve done that, as you can change the (anoying) sounds, hmm, I seem to be getting 'double ' sounds...maybe I have yours?

Try to add any different sound to all items on the list from the bottom menu, as default may turn OFF the click.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  13. happyfeet

happyfeet Private E-2

Thanks for Chaslang confirming to me that this issue is not a malware problem.

After looking for solution everywhere and for a long time and still didn't get any, I decided to reformat my computer.

Everything get back to normal of course, with the click sound again. :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds