Enter Primary Master HDD User password

Discussion in 'Software' started by abz1nthe, Jun 3, 2009.

1. abz1nthe

abz1nthe Command Sergeant Major

Hello,

So recently one of the teacher's dropped off a laptop from our wireless cart ( Acer TravelMate 3260 Windows XP) saying it was popping up with some error. When I turned it it loaded to a screen saying: "Enter Primary Master HDD Password [ ]"

I can't get it to boot from any cd's,, I cant re-image it and I pretty much cannot do anything with it at all.

Any idea how I resolve this issue? I did a quick google and one post said to contact the Acer manufacturer for the password so I called and they no longer do free support for laptops no longer under warrenty and I was directed to the website. I tryed the email support and got the same answer asking me to call there pay service which is 60 dollars for 30 minutes lol f-that.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I pondered removing the cmos battery too see if that would clear the message but I wanted to see if there was another way before I have to take it all apart.

Thanks!

Adam

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  2. Serious Sam

Serious Sam Corporal

I've never heard of a way around that one, you won't even be able to slave it to get the data off of it with a HD password. The teacher would HAVE to know the password though otherwise they couldn't use it. Someone had to manually enter that p/w

3. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Could be a student playing a prank ... I'm not sure of any password programs that could get that either ... have you scrolled through MGs downloads section to check for such programs??

4. abz1nthe

I do not know how they even got into it. All the computers were setup with deep freeze so even if they did mess with something it wouldn't retain it on a restart, or should i say it shouldn't.

5. abz1nthe

Is this something that was preset by Acer or you think a student some how got in to set one?

6. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

This sounds like a system start up password, commonly accessed through the BIOS. Are the BIOSes on your computers password protected?

I would think that resetting the CMOS should solve this issue.

7. abz1nthe

alrighty ya that was my last resort because it's such a pain taking the laptop apart :p I'll give it a shot and let you guys know.

Thanks a bunch!

-Adam

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds