Problem with D-Link Network Adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DallasRaines42, Feb 11, 2006.

1. DallasRaines42

DallasRaines42 Private First Class

I had been using the Netgear FA-311 network adapter for a long time to access my cable connection, and I had no problems with it untill I began trying to play Multiplayer Online games over the card. At that point I discovered that the card was no longer supported by windows and there was no existing driver for XP which caused the game to slow down noticably and crash in high traffic situations. For this reson I went out and got a new D-Link DFE-530TX adapter which I was told would give me optimal performance. While I had some trouble setting up the card at first, I was eventually able to get it to run and no longer encountered the game errors. Recently however, I have been unable to connect to the internet over this card.
    When attempting to make a connection, the process fails when trying to obtain my IP address. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the card (removed it completely). I tried to update the drivers but none were available (Windows autotomatically detected the card and claims to have built in driver support). I also tried changing which PCI slot the card was attached to. I currently have both cards installed and am able to connect on the netgear card but not the d-link, although windows can find no error with the hardware. What can I do to diagnose and correct this problem?

2. DallasRaines42

Does anyone have any suggestions at all? I am pulling my hair out in frustration here... I have tried everything I can think of to get this to work. I am supposed to be meeting some freinds for a game in an hour and unless I can get this card working again, I'm SOL.... thanks for your attention

3. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

4. DallasRaines42

Ok, I downlaoded the drivers you indicated, and while they where accepted by my system (IE it didn't say "No better Drivers found" but rather "Drivers successfully installed") this did not seem to alleviate my problem. At the risk of sounding noobish, how do I go about checking my firewall settings to see if that is the problem?

5. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Are you up to date on XP - as in Service Pack 2 installed?
    You've got the windows firewall in the Security Center if you have SP2 installed. That should not be a problem if it is the only firewall you have.
    I was thinking of a third party firewall like Norton or Zone Alarm conflicting with the Windows firewall.

6. DallasRaines42

Yes, I am running XP with SP2. I have not installed any other firewall programs. (I am running Avast!, Ad-Aware SE, Spyware Blaster amd Spybot S&D). I am in the firewall settings section of the security settings now, If there is still a possibility of this being the conflict how do I check that. The most recent issue with my pc was a trojan infection that required me to slave my drive and clean it from another terminal. Any ideas on where to proceed? Thanks for your attention once again ><

7. DallasRaines42

Bump for unresolved issue

8. DallasRaines42

Well, I've tried everything I can think of to make the D-Link work and although it seems to be installed correctly, with the most up-to-date drivers, has been tried in multiple PCI slots and my windows firewall settings don't appear to be the problem. I also have done in-depth virus cleaning and I believe my system is squeeky-clean. I am still able to connect with my Netgear FA-311, but as it is unsupported by Windows XP and has no new drivers the functionality of the card is minimal. I can access the web, but am unable to run my game at all. The card is unable to handle the traffic. I have been looking for a possible third-party driver for the netgear card but have been unable to find one. I am extremely frustrated here and have exhausted all my options. If anyone on these boards can help me in any way I would be once again indebted to you all. Thanks again for the help everyone.

9. DallasRaines42

D-Link DFE 530TX/Netgear FA 311

I am currently having problems getting my Network card to connect to the internet. I am running a D-Link DFE 530 TX and experienced no problems until a recent infection required the slaving and cleaning of my drive. Well, I've tried everything I can think of to make the D-Link work and although it seems to be installed correctly, with the most up-to-date drivers, has been tried in multiple PCI slots and my windows firewall settings don't appear to be the problem. I also have done in-depth virus cleaning and I believe my system is squeeky-clean. I am still able to connect with my Netgear FA-311, but as it is unsupported by Windows XP and has no new drivers the functionality of the card is minimal. I can access the web, but am unable to run World of Warcraft at all (The primary reason I updated my card to begin with). The Netgear card is unable to handle the traffic. I have been looking for a possible third-party driver for the FA-311 but have been unable to find one. I am extremely frustrated here and have exhausted all my options. If anyone on these boards can help me in any way I would be once again indebted to you all. Thanks again for the help everyone.

10. Komodo25

Komodo25 Private First Class

11. DallasRaines42

Re: D-Link DFE 530TX/Netgear FA 311

No such luck. the card didnt like the drivers (no better match found). I bought the new card originally because I had given up on trying to make the fa311 work. I read a number of articles that said the card was hopeless. What I am really focused on is getting the good card to work again.... I just dont understand whats wrong

12. DallasRaines42

Re: D-Link DFE 530TX/Netgear FA 311

bump for unresolved issue

13. DallasRaines42

bumpity bump bump

14. DallasRaines42

Ok I spoke with someone in another support forum who asked me to check the IP addresses for each card. Start>Run>"cmd">"ipconfig" gave me the following information with the FA311 card connected:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix.:hsd1.ga.comcast.net.
    IP Address.....................:69.254.70.77
    Subnet Mask....................:255.255.255.128
    Default Gateway................:69.254.70.1

Connecting the DFE530TX and repeating the process gave me this info:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix.:
    IP Address.....................:169.254.190.197
    Subnet Mask....................:255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway................:

He suggested then that I go to Network Connections>Properties>Internet Protocol>Properties and change from "obtain IP automatically" to "Use the following IP" and change the information to the following:

I did so, and while this made the taskbar icon disappear for the disconnected card, and clicking status on the card now says "connected" I am still unable to connect to the internet with that card. When I changed the obtain IP settings it also selected "use the following DNS server addresses" leaving me with those fields blank. do i also need to plug something into these fields? Any ideas?

PS- Sorry for multiple posts Adren. Product of my frustration, won't do it again ><

15. DallasRaines42

In an attempt to get DNS addresses I ran an ipconfig/all I plugged the DNS info at the end into the settings but it's still not working.

"Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name: Computer
    Primary Dns Suffix:
    Node Tpye: Mixed
    IP Routing Enabled: No
    WINS Proxy Enabled: No
    DNS Suffix Search List: hsd1.ga.comcast.net.

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection 8:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffic: hsd1.ga.comcast.net.
    Description: Netgear FA311 Fast Ethernet Adapter #2
    Physical Address: 00-09-5B-09-41-96
    Dhcp Enabled: Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
    IP Address: 69.254.70.77
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.128
    Default Gateway: 69.254.70.1
    DHCP Server: 68.87.68.13
    DNS Servers: 68.87.68.162 / 68.87.74.162"

16. DallasRaines42

Sounds like I'm S.O.L.?

17. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What error comes up when you do an ipconfig /renew?

Make sure your IP address is auto assigned before doing it.

There will definately be some sort of error, so please post what it says, verbatim.

18. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Are you using a router or are you plugged straight to the cable modem.

It looks like your straight to the modem, try removing the old NIC after you set the static IP on the new card. And yes the DNS is necessary but I see you found that.

19. DallasRaines42

The error message was:

"An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 10 : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

I have noticed the LAC# has been going up every time I reconfigure the cards. Could this be a problem? How do I reset these numbers? Only the two are appearing under network connections but the numbers have been increasing every time (I am now up to 8 & 10)

Ok, while I wait for your response I am going to try forcing the IP settings, disconnecting the working card, and restarting with just the one installed to see if that will help. Correct me if I'm wrong but based on the ipconfig I am setting the static IP exactly as follows:

Preferred DNS Server:........:68.87.68.162
    Alternate DNS Server:........:68.87.74.162

I will post results when I am reconnected.

edit: Nope, no router involved, simply the NIC->Cable Modem

20. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Did it work with just the one card and the Static IP?

21. DallasRaines42

no such luck. The only change was a different error message when doing ipconfig /renew:
    "the operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation."

22. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

It sounds like you may have a defective network card.

I would also suggest that you get a router ASAP. The router is also a hardware firewall and controls ports and things that a software firewall can't do. It's really necessary for proper security.

23. DallasRaines42

Yeah that's all D-Link would tell me too. I guess Im going to ship it back for repairs. I just dont understand what could have happened to the hardware that worked perfectly less then a week ago. Well, Thanks for your help once again

24. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Just a personal opinion but I would just return the DLink and get a Linksys or 3Com.

25. DallasRaines42

I have access to wireless net in my building, so I may just pick up a wireless card. any suggestions there?

26. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Linksys is the only wireless equipment I use. If you buy your own router, get the Linksys WRT54G or GS You can boost the power to improve range with an aftermarket flash. You can also add longer antennas to further improve the range.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds