Wireless adapter is working, but can't find wireless networks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by videobruce, May 24, 2010.

1. videobruce

videobruce Private E-2

On a Dell Inspiration 1545 Laptop with a Broadcom 4312BG wireless chipset (I believe), the driver installed (stock from Dell), when I try to scan for available networks, nothing shows including mine that is three feet away. My other laptop in the same place sees four networks.

I'm running XP pro w/sp3,
    No firewall or security software,
    No encryption, passwords etc.,
    Device manage shows good, the connection shows in Networks with no issue.

I originally tried the software included with the 'Dell' package which was a Intel program (??), but it couldn't find anything. Then I just tried the Windows program, but the same thing.

Other than a broken cable(s) to the internal antenna, or a outright
    defective chipset, is there a Windows 'Service" if stopped would cause this to happen?

2. Toms94

Toms94 Private E-2

I got a similar problem with 2 laptops, one a Toshiba 2400-s201 and the other an Acer 5050, both running XP

I have even tried to install USB wireless adapters, thinking that the wire to the antennae was broken/disconnected, but I get the same thing there.

In both cases I have done fresh installs of XP. If I hook up with a wire they work fine.

There has to be something we are missing in Win XP.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds