Java eating up a hefty amount of my memory and CPU.

Discussion in 'Software' started by GregTheTraceur, Jun 4, 2013.

1. GregTheTraceur

GregTheTraceur Private E-2

The last few times I've restarted my computer, I've noticed that my computer is super sluggish. A quick check of the Task Manager shows that "java(tm) platform se binary" is just simply going to town on my CPU. I've taken care of the problem a few times just by force stopping the process, but that does nasty things to my computer, so I'd like to solve the problem. There's no winning. I mean, I like having a 1 hour battery life as much as the next guy, and having my computer ALWAYS overheated has it's benefits on cold nights, but I think this one can end. Only problem is that I have no idea what that problem is, or why it's doing this.

I think I am running JDK 1.7.0, and JRE 7. I am a computer science student, and I do use Eclipse from time to time, so I don't want to just remove Java altogether. (I suppose this is also to say that you can speak computer, a little.)

When my computer first starts up, CPU usage (by Java alone) is ~60% and memory starts out ~300K-400K (I didn't check the instant my computer opened, but after mere minutes, it was 500K. Educated guess.). CPU levels out around 45-50% (2 gigs!) for a long time. Memory leaks for a while. It appears to spike around 910K, before dropping to ~890K. CPU eventually spirals down to ~35%, but that's still not okay with me because I'm not actually doing anything with it, as far as I can tell.
    Screenshot

Is it as simple as making Java not run on startup? If so, what's the best way to do that?

I have work super early, so I'm probably going to roll over and fall asleep right after I post this. So, sorry if I don't get to your responses tonight. Thanks in advance, everyone.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What kind of "nasty" things happen when you end it? It isn't supposed to be running on boot unless you have a java application running at startup.

Obviously you cannot remove it if you need Eclipse...maybe we can get a list of your startup items in msconfig?

3. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Also make sure that you have the latest version 7u21 of both JDK & JRE installed.

4. There are a lot of programs that allow you to monitor and control what runs at startup. WinPatrol is a really good one to have. It lets you choose to delay a startup for a set interval. I hear that Sysinternals Autoruns is very good also.

I have a nifty extension for Mozilla family browsers called QuickJava. It puts buttons on the status bar that permit quick enable or disable of Flash Player, Java, Silverlight, and JavaScript. I go most of the time with those first three disabled.

5. GregTheTraceur

In terms of nasty things, force quitting is making it so my computer can't wake up after you put it to sleep. I've force quit 3 times, and each of those 3 times, it would try to wake up, then the hard drive would click (made the same sound as when I bricked my HD in January. I FREAKED out the first time.) and the computer would go back to sleep, except look dead. This would loop forever. Upon restarting my computer, it would be fixed. I think that's the only symptom, but still... that's pretty huge.
    Here is a picture of my msconfig. I said in the picture that what I disabled didn't help, but it did. My CPU usage from Java is already down to 30%, and memory is at 130K.

I just updated that. I was running 7u13, it looked like. After doing this and restarting, I found CPU usage to be 25-30% and memory hovered at 40K for a long time. Honestly, thought the memory leak was fixed. After 20 minutes of uptime, it is around 110K and climbing slowly.

I will keep WinPatrol and SA on my mind in case msconfig doesn't get the job done. As for the extensions, I don't think those will help, since my problem springs up well before I manage to open up any browsers.

Thanks for all your help, guys. I can't wait to see this resolved.

6. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

What is the actual process name that uses your CPU and memory? Check with the Processes tab.

7. GregTheTraceur

As it shows in my first screenshot,
    name: javaw.exe *32
    description: Java(TM) Platform SE Binary

8. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Does that (javaw.exe) really need to run; can you remove it from your startup items?

9. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Keep in mind that msconfig is a troubleshooting tool. Have a read here for a recommended way to manage startup items:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=149804

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds