new SSD. cant format it

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Storkraft, May 16, 2012.

1. Storkraft

Storkraft Private First Class

Hi ok so i have bougt a new ocz 120 GB SSD.
    and i can find it in bios.

i have disconected all other drives. and it finds it. and i boot with win7 disk.
    and some itmes it finds the drive. and it says. disk 4 partiton 1. 111.8 GB
    i then try to format it. it thinks for a time and says it cant format it.??

and not sure its importent but. it says 111.8 gb free space. but surgest a partion of 114.somehting. `? i have trayd with that and wiht alot of other numbers like 111.8 111.78- 111.5 and so on. but nothing

i have also tryed to format it while in win7. with all my drives connected,.
    in disk manegement. and again there it usualy finds it it the beginning. but after a few tryes it disapeers from the list.

so how come it can find it and i have aperently succeded in making a partition. but now it want format it.

if i boot just with DVD and SSD. sometimes i cant even find the dvd with win7. or it boots something called 2.2 infinity but i dont knwo what it is.
    and wikie says its a car. so but when choosing a drive form that boot i only get my 3 dvd burners to choose.

sometimes when i reboot. i just says no operating system. ?

im stuck. i cant figure out what to do `?

Please help

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

120 GB = 111.75+ GB due to rounding errors. Manufacturers represent 1 GB as 1000 MB and 1MB as 1000 kb and 1 kb as 1000 bytes so the ssd has 120,000,000,000 bytes.

But to convert you need to divide by 1024 each time, not 1000. So 120,000,000,000 bytes divided by 1024 to change to kb, then divide by 1024 to change to MB and last divide by 1024 to convert to GB and you get 111.758708953

You are trying to create a 114 GB partition on an ssd that is only 111.75+ GB.

Next: Windows 7 will format the ssd for you during the install so you do not need to format it before you start the install.

I assume you mean a wiki but I have no idea what you mean by "car".

I assume you mean when you try for a boot menu, it usually does not allow you to select the ssd.

Sounds like you have not installed Windows 7 on the ssd drive so when it sees the ssd, there is no operating system. When it doesn't see the ssd, it wants to boot from a DVD drive with an operating system in the drive.

I suggest you remove two of the three DVD drives (simply pull the cables from the drive or the motherboard) do not physically remove the drives from the case.
    Put the Windows 7 disk in the DVD drive and let it install to the ssd.

3. Storkraft

yes i know the nr of GB dosent represent the actual usable nr of GB,
    and as i said i tryed several sizes. also 110. gb. but i couldent format.

no windows cant format.
    i can usualy do it that way but not now.

i looked up 2.2 infinity. since i have no ideer wha tit is but i can see it in bios.
    and i looked at wikiepedia. and it showed me a car.

and when i boots with 2.2 infinity. it shows a boot meny. and it only showed the 3 dvd. drives.

and some times when with just the ssd. and the dvd drives connected.
    and the win7 in one of the drives. (the first boost one)
    dont think it matters. but its also the only sata drive the other 2 DVD drives are IDE. so i thougt it would install faster that way.

and no win 7 is not installed. it cant install as long as it is not formatted.

it is patitioned. but all tryes to format fails. not with all my normal drives active. and when i can find it under my computer. and i try to format it it tryes but says "failed to format the selected partition (error:0x80070057)"

so it is partioned. so its just the format that fails.

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

5. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

My dad purchased an OCZ for his netbook a few weeks ago and had the same problem.

After he finally called OCZ tech support, it turned out the drive required a firmware upgrade for it to work properly. rolleyes

If the other ideas fail, it may be worth a visit to OCZ's support page or a call to OCZ tech support to see if this is the case with your drive.

Hope this helps. :)

6. Storkraft

im now on there forum.. but i cant ask enything.
    well maybe later. might be a cooldown period.

so i hope they can help.

thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds