Users fail to spot fake pop-ups

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DavidGP, Sep 24, 2008.

1. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Interesting article that cought my eye today, while many of us here at Majorgeeks know the pitfall of being "click happy" and just saying wooooha now and checking what the message says, many don't, hence why Chas and TimW et al are busy in malware removals.

Rest of article @ BBC News

Knowing that many that are cought out are likely to be new or novice PC users, where do you think that the education on how to secure your PC and your personal data should come from, OS or Browser developers, the OEM PC sellers and retailers, Internet Communities like this one or the Government?

2. Doc13%

Doc13% aka Kestrel13! aka Emms

or Alt and F4 it... safer still just in case the "close" button is also the "go ahead" to install something malicious....
    Or open Task Manager and end the browser's process...Since using Firefox add-on ABP last year I have not seen a pop up since....bliss :) Good article Halo

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

63% failed. That's just sad.

4. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

So, explain this "popup" in terms Firefox users can understand.

Oh yeah, that is what causes that grey bar to appear.

It goes away....

5. DavidGP

WOW your hillerious, next you will be telling me Firefox stops you from getting "any" malware (hence the amount of FF users in the Malware forum getting help from Chas et al ) Just goes to show whats the point of trying to stimulate any serious discussion on this forum.

6. LauraR

You can disable the Popup blocker in FF too...which I have a feeling people do.

lol...I've also seen a ton of people in malware who say 'I use FF, so I'm not sure how I got this trojan'.

7. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

What really bothers me with this study is that these students have grown up with computers and the internet and really should know better just from their previous experiences.:confused Since it's %63 failure with these 'savvy' internet users, it must be much higher in the general population.

Well, educational facilities should educate their pupils, businesses their workers which then leaves a good number of folks out in the wild. OEMs will just say buy the bundled app as they certainly can't spend the cash. Perhaps the government can help a tad with some ads that say 'Just Don't Click', but that's about it.

Also, there's some people that just don't care. I warned a friend that her e-mail was compromised because it was sending stuff with attachments, but not by her. When I told her, she just replied 'meh, viruses shmiruses', what do I care? Well, she cares now as she lost everything she had saved as the tech just did a clean install.

As to tech sites, I remember a study a few years back that stated only some %5 of internet users even knew these sites were available. I don't know the figure now but it seems about the best way to go. Perhaps MGs should advertise. 'ChasOn, apply directly to your forehead!':-D

8. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Well, my Firefox seems to, but I always assumed the reason it does is because I do most of my surfing in Ubuntu... :innocent

Firefox probably stops some malware, though not by far all, if you install NoScript and AdBlocker before you go anywhere on the web in that browser. But even those two add-ons don't change the fact that the user still is the biggest security risk to a computer.

I think the biggest problem is not the lack of knowledge though, but the lack of awareness. Like augie said, less than 5% of internet users are aware that there are communities like this one, where you can get help, and even fewer understand why they need to be careful. You'd think that hints of identity theft would raise red flags, but for some reason that never seems to occur to anyone either.

9. DavidGP

Cheers for the insightful replies Laura, Augie and Mimsy

Totally agreed, which is why in the past in posts I have argued that FF is a false sence of security, as it will NOT save for from downloading and installing malware, in which some rogue applications have add-on bundled malware which can also give you popup warnings, so popups are not limited to the browser.

I have IE7&8 and its popup blocker works for me not seen a popup in ages.

Scary isnt it!!

Not thought of that one Augie on students, good idea in that as many students these days use PC, it would be a great start to educate in schools or Universities at the grass roots stage, while the advice may not be followed by all, it may reduce the numbers affected.

Where I work they take security seriously and have many email alerts to what may have hit our network but a whiles back they sent all users an email guide, which seems to have worked in a building with over 3000+ workers all with access to PCs, so incidence of malware has been reduced dramatically.

With your thought on students, gives me a question to ask a few of the Uni students in our dept if they have been given warnings on malware and ID theft.

You'd think so, especially as these days that is what the criminals that are speading malware are after, long gone is the warped kudos of having a famous virii to the hackers who created them, now its more orgainsed crime that is creating these.

I agree with you Firefox is fine ( use it myself in FF3 and a test beta ) and does not have a few of the pitfalls of IE, but the main problem is person behind keyboard and where they surf, what they download. In all likelyhood many just see the fake popups being similar to a Windows OS message or one from their AV and click ok to remove the message as its interfearing with their surfing.

With lack of awareness, could then ISPs as we all have one, do more to bring awarness to their users in say email bulletins? ( ok likely some may block bulletins ) I know may last two ISPs didnt do this, so dont know if anyone here's do?

10. augiedoggie

Well, about the only thing my ISP does is offer to sell me some protection from Radialpoint, at $6 to $8 per month. Their scan says that I have to address my AV(Avast) (their software doesn't recognize the update date) and my anti-spyware(don't have one). At least it's something if one wants to pay. They used to have McAfee but I guess it didn't go down too well.:-D

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  11. DavidGP

I dont think really that offering software is the answer as most of the ISPs apps are not perfect and will give user a false sense of security, best as both you and Mimsy mention is to educate on the pitfalls and simple steps, liek dont click all popups read them first.

12. augiedoggie

I agree, but why would they spend some money to educate when they get paid for protection? That's not a good business model. I'd be fired sooo fast if I ever suggested that! That is if I worked there.

13. Mimsy

I still don't think the root of the problem is in a lack of education. The problem is people don't understand why it matters.

I have a friend who had computer problems... unexpected and unexplainable pop-ups in IE 6, strange programs running in her taskbar that she did not remember installing. I kept trying to warn her and talk her into installing an anti-virus, but it wasn't until a key-logger grabbed her eBay account info and possibly all other sorts of information, that she realized why she should care.

It's like cancer. It happens to others, not to me.

14. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Halo, I did not know we were serious here. :)

I did not use a single smiley. :eek:

YES, all users should use caution, and malware is a reason to watch what you click- even if the gray bar goes away, you may still have a problem.

My apologies to you, sir.

And to others offended.

15. Mimsy

Once again, the single biggest threat to computer security is the user. ;)

Trust me, if I was offended, you would know. You would know in an instant.

16. star17

star17 MajorGeek

Word.

17. LauraR

I would agree. My dad doesn't see why he should care if the world connects to his unsecured wireless. There is nothing you can say to these people to make them realize the dangers. My friends who ask me for help has 'seen the light' because they know I won't help them if they don't use protection.

It's just like all the 'just say no' campaigns. None of them work, nor will they because by the time someone really screws up, it's too late.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds