Why do "Windows Installer" and "Sonic Update Manager" keep popping up?

Discussion in 'Software' started by writermom, May 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. writermom

writermom Private E-2

Have a new computer which runs Windows XP 2005, and it's been a bit of a rough road.

Lately when I start up the computer, the "Windows Installer" appears every time. "Please wait while Windows configures Your Sonic Update Manager." The next window that appears is Sonic Update Manager, and it says, "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert 'Sonic Update Manager' disk and click OK." At the bottom of this same window is 'Use Source: 1'.

When I click "OK" or "cancel," a message appears, "The path '1' cannot be found. Verify that you have access to this location and try again, or try to find the installation package 'UM.MSI' in a folder from which you can install the product Sonic UPdate Manager."

If I continue to click 'cancel,' it eventually all goes away. But it's annoying and I'd like to set things straight. How do I get this to go away???

I looked on my original invoice from Dell, and yes, they did install Sonic, but I don't have a CD for it. It may also help for you to know that this began after my ten-year-old son had me install Editing Software powered by Muvee for his Vidster video camera from Mattel. Could that have something to do with it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter and click on the startup tab.

See if you have these processes listed "issch" and "isuspm". If so, uncheck them, click apply and restart the computer.

Steve

3. writermom

writermom Private E-2

Thanks, Steve. Yup, Windows Installer DOES NOT appear. Yet, another message comes up, "You have used the system configuaration utility to makes changes to the way Windows starts. The scu is currently in diagnostic or selective startup mode, cuasing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts. Choose the normal startup on general tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the scu."

Now, as a computer moron, any ominous message intimidates me. Are there any short- or long-term consequences to that message? or is it pretty standard stuff?

BTW, what are "issch" and "isuspm" anyway?

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Go back to msconfig and under the General tab choose Selective Startup, click apply and you will need to restart.

You will get a similar box after you restart but it has a checkbox that say's something like "Dont show this message or launch the SCU when windows starts up", just check it. See if that works for you.

Steve

5. writermom

writermom Private E-2

Messages are gone. Thanks again, Steve.

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Good deal. :)

If you want to control some of your startup items at some point I listed the link below that might help you. Scroll down to post #3 by COMPUABLE, there are some excellent Startup Managers and info listed.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=92793

Steve

7. writermom

writermom Private E-2

Funny, I read that post this morning.

I have to admit I'm a bit confused (after all, I am a computer moron). What is the definition of "start up menu?" Is it what appears on your desktop (ie the "icons") once you launch Windows? I have lots of junk there--Dell adds all this unwanted garbage to the hard drive to entice you into buying them. Annoying.

8. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Actually, I believe the startup menu refers to the folder in your start menu. Items here will be executed when windows loads. It can be found at Start --> All Programs --> Startup

9. writermom

writermom Private E-2

Interesting. When I go there, two are junk. Good to know. Thanx!!

10. GreggysMom

GreggysMom Private E-2

Okay I had this SONIC problem after installing a Disney Photopass CD from our disney trip. I got it to go away but now I can't copy any photos to my CD drive? I can listen to music and burn music, but not pictures. I too have a Dell dimension B110

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

How did you come up with that?

Its an updater for the CD/DVD burning software they provide as an OEM.

Sonic is a division of Roxio.

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

13. f_wandera

f_wandera Private E-2

Lately when I start up the computer, the "Windows Installer" appears every time. "Please wait while Windows configures Your Sonic Update Manager." The next window that appears is Sonic Update Manager, and it says, "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert 'Sonic Update Manager' disk and click OK." At the bottom of this same window is 'Use Source: 1'.

When I click "OK" or "cancel," a message appears, "The path '1' cannot be found. Verify that you have access to this location and try again, or try to find the installation package 'UM.MSI' in a folder from which you can install the product Sonic UPdate Manager."

If I continue to click 'cancel,' it eventually all goes away. But it's annoying and I'd like to set things straight. How do I get this to go away???

I looked on my original invoice from Dell, and yes, they did install Sonic, but I don't have a CD for it.
    what can i do?
    Any advice would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

14. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Start a new thread for best support. People might not read your problem in detail thinking the original poster's problem is resolved.

15. Joxer

Joxer Private E-2

Steve - what a man - after weeks of the Sonic Update pop up doing my head in and various, ineffective inputs from 'experts' on how to rid myself of it I came across your post, applied your prescription and the irritant has been exorcised - hallelujiah - thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds