Record a random sound in XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by augiedoggie, Jul 3, 2007.

1. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I randomly get sounds like an insulated door opening and closing, sort of like swish/swash. I've had this of and on through several formats and trying to eliminate probable causes with no luck so far. People have no idea what I'm talking about so I thought having a recording of the event would jog someone's memory. Any software (free of course) out there or an idea on how to isolate this? Many thanks in advance.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

If it plays through your speakers, chances are you can record it with Windows native sound recorder

Start --> All Programs --> Accessories --> Entertainment --> Sound Recorder

Simple to use, just hit record, have the sound play, and press stop. Then save the recording to .WAV

3. augiedoggie

Thanks Mada, yes it does play through my speakers and it is speaker independent. I'll give this a shot, thank you.

4. augiedoggie

The sound just played again and nothing was recorded, I think that option is for a microphone only and I think I'll set that up next to my speakers.

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Another way is to do a search for *.wav and play each one, in turn.

I have 271 on my machine, though.
    It might take you a while to find it. :D:D Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds