svchost.exe eating all memory

Discussion in 'Software' started by dedman76, Nov 10, 2005.

1. dedman76

dedman76 Private E-2

Hi everybody,
    when i open the process tab in task manager, it shows 6 svchost and one which keeps on eating memory (up to +500Mb if i leave the computer on for 8-10hours!). Is it normal? I scanned my pc with an up to date anti virus and adaware, nothing. Cleaned up the startup list in the registry.. The service for this process is the rpcss (remote procedure call) and can't be shut. It starts growing steadily as soon as i log in and it doesnt stop untill it gets too laggy and have to reboot. Its windows xp pro with latest updates
    specs:
    -amd 1900+
    -asus a7v266
    -1024mb ram
    -80gb hd
    -soundblaster live! 24bit
    -connected with adsl usb modem
    -ethernet pci card
    Please help, it's getting annoying, already +42mb with 30minutes since last reboot :rolleyes:
    thanx for your time!
    ded

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

It is normal to have 3 to 7 copies of svchost running at one time. If you ae having problems with one using up your system resources then you may want to do the following:

Please follow the steps below:

- Run ALL the steps in this Sticky thread READ & RUN ME FIRST Before Asking for Support

Make sure you check version numbers and get all updates.

- Very Important: Make sure you tell us the results from running the tutorial...was anything found? Were you unable to complete any of the scans?...Were you unable to download any of the tools?...Did you do the on-line scans as suggested? etc.

After doing ALL of the above you still have a problem make sure you have booted to normal mode and run the steps in the below link to properly use HijackThis:

Downloading, Installing, and Running HijackThis

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds