bytes sent / received how many should be sent?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 8888, Apr 6, 2003.

1. 8888

8888 Private E-2

I am very concerned with computer security. When I am on a

site receiving information I often check my internet connection.

On average there are about 10% ratio of bytes sent with a

compression of roughly 30% while bytes received has only a 3%

compression. My question is ... WHY AM I SENDING ANY BYTES

WHEN ALL I AM DOING IS VIEWING WEB PAGES??? IS A

10% SENT / RECEIVED RATIO ACCEPTABLE OR AM I

SENDING TOO MUCH INFORMATION??? COULD THERE BE

SOME TYPE OF SPYWARE PROGRAM ON MY COMPUTER

THAT I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, in not very technical terms, you MUST send out packets to receive pages. You have to contact sites, DNS, etc.

Is packets being sent out normal?

Sure.

Get a firewall if you are paranoid :)

Get a router, start the logs, and watch outbound connections...

etc
    etc

3. 8888

8888 Private E-2

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
    I HAVE A FIREWALL ( PC PILLIN ) AND JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT I DOWNLOADED A SPYWARE DETECTION PROGRAM AND IT SAID THAT THERE WAS A KEYSTROKE SPYWARE PROGRAM DETECTED ON MY FIREWALL (MAYBE THIS IS NORMAL). THIS IS WHAT PROMPTED MY WHOLE QUESTION.
    THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY

4. 8888

8888 Private E-2

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

I THANK ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR HELP

5. wannabegeek

wannabegeek Private E-2

hello omg..i just ran a is something byte usage for a week graph daily hourly and some other times..he had max usage 5000+ im showing on the xp myisp shows how many received and sent if you put the arrow on it..i am sending 2 million + and receiving 18+ million..is this alot..in hte past few days i havent run anything different..seems my new xp is awfully slow...it was fine the 1st 2 weeks..seems the problem really gets worse on ebay and continues but my cpu :) I WLL BE A GEEK!!! show always 2 percent actually performance is at 8 pecent now thank you iwould do all u say ..but i dont know how to cut and paste the log at hijack this..thank you also for the paranoid guy ther is a place that explains how to authenticate from yr pc if someone is on yr isps domain..it shows up in the audit..id cut and paste the link if i knew how..thank you

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds