Barebones box upgrade help please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BoredOutOfMyMind, Apr 20, 2008.

1. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

I am needing help with upgrading my desktop. The video, DVD drives and sound are all less than a year old. I have IDE drives and want to hot swap linux drive into new box. ANY help finding a new config is appreciated!

Afterall, I want to participate in the 2008 tax stimulus program!

2. BoredOutOfMyMind

The Geeks are failing me. From Post #1 so is my Internet Tablet failing to quickly allow me to post here!

I found a Gigabyte board on newegg and so will attempt that route

Any others who can offer what is the best site to purchase parts from?
    I am deciding that I have done about all I can do with this box and the power savings of a newer power supply entice me.

3. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

im not sure exactly what you are saying? you don't want to upgrade, necessarily, but you want to build something new, and include some of the things you already have? if so, yes, newegg is a great place to look. As far as recommending what to get, do you have a price cap? I've also seen some ok barebones kits on tigerdirect.com, that save you a little money, rather than purchasing each item separately.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Why hot swap drives? I have an older computer with two hard drives: one with windows and the other with linux. Just put a 2nd drive inside and install linux.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

What would be the max spend $$$ for this project?

Any pref on CPU type ( Intel/AMD )?

Only Items not needed are DVD, Sound and Video? Everything else is needed, from Case to Ram?

What Mobo did you just find ( please link ) ? as it will determine the other parts.

6. BoredOutOfMyMind

My bad, not "hot swap" but unplug drives and replug them in the new box. They are linux drives.

I prefer Intel but my other box is an AMD Compaq-
    Max? I dunno since this $2500 box is now going on what- 7 yrs! Probably I would prefer to stay between $300 or so but if I get more bang for a buck....I trust some of my fellow geeks to help me keep America working by buying hardware made in a foreign land!
    ~~Disclaimer
    This is sarcasm as I think the Government Giveaway is kinda a bad idea.
    ~~~

The Ram is PC 133 SDRAM so it is not gonna live in any newer box. Memory is cheap now.

What I have that works well in Linux for me....

GeForce Nvidia 6200 LE
    160 Gig IDE Drive (WD or Seagate, I cannot remember)
    The original Dell WD 20 GIG IDE drive with bad MS OS, but some files I access once every 6 months.
    2 DVD/CD Burners
    USB 2.0 addin card
    Ethernet Card
    Modem, but with DSL it is not needed
    Diamond Sound Card
    USB keyboard
    Logitech MX Laser Mouse
    HP 2207 Monitor

Dell Dimension 4100 933 P-3
    512 PC 133 SDRAM
    (toss in the 20X drives and this box I hope can be sold on craigslist for $25-$45)

Let me get a link in a few.

Thanks Halo.

7. BoredOutOfMyMind

8. BoredOutOfMyMind

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds