Black screen after Windows XP startup screen

Discussion in 'Software' started by thewillguy, Nov 13, 2008.

1. thewillguy

thewillguy Private E-2

I recently ran some anti-virus software and after rebooting my computer the screen goes blank after the opening Windows XP screen (which I guess is the POST).

It just hangs there. The mouse is on the screen and I can move it around but it doesn't load.

Things I have attempted:

1) Starting in SAFE MODE and last settings, etc. The same thing happens.
    2) Resetting BIOS to default.
    3) Running anti-virus programs by booting from CD
    4) Running diagnostic program from Ultimate Boot CD

Before you ask, this is a Toshiba Satellite with Windows XP service pack 2 pre-installed. The reinstall disk does not give me the option of doing a repair. The option is only to wipe out the disk and reinstall (unless I'm missing something but it starts off announcing that). As my computer is down, I can't build a windows boot CD from it.

What I would really like to do is just copy over 20gigs of files that I want to keep from the laptop and then run the reinstall program and let the HD be wiped out. But what is a good program that will allow me to boot from CD and then copy from the harddrive to a separate drive plugged into the USB port? I haven't been able to find one and I assume that there would be one out there. I tried some of the Linux boot options on the UBCD but none of them would do that.

My other option was to simply take out the harddrive from the laptop and put it into a HD case and copy it over onto another computer but this laptop connects to the laptop with a card-type connector instead of pins/ribbon.

If anyone can suggest an iso image that I can download and boot from CD- one that will allow me to see my C: drive and an external USB- please let me know.

Thanks. I've read through similar posts but found nothing that applies. They either had the install CDs (as opposed to the CD that came with mine with is a re-install for the Satellite), or were problems with the monitor.

2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=38573.0

PCLinuxOS live CD, burn ISO using IMGBurn, can then be booted from CD/DVD drive if BIOS is set to make it so, should be able to copy NTFS files from your Windows partition C: to a FAT32 partition, External USB, a bit more is required to read and write files to and from an NTFS partition. Have used this live cd to troubleshoot Windows, and also dualboot it with XP on a single HDD. You will need to right click on the desktop and configure for drives to be shown on the desktop, and then click on drive icon to mount for reading of NTFS partition or read and write for FAT32 partition. As it is a live CD it runs in RAM and no install is necessary.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds