If you had money, what kind of barebones desktop would you get?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Still Learning, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Still Learning

Still Learning Private First Class

If you had money, what kind of barebones desktop would you get?

I currently have a AMD duo core mother board, which supports up to 4 gb of ram, have had trouble installing my new video card which is a 1gb force 3d radeon 4650 hd, im thinking my current motherboard may only support pci express 8 not and 16, which the card is pci express 16.

I would like to get a nice barebones good for audio and video production, fast for computer calculations (im going to school for computer programming), to play the lastest games on, ect..

also something with alot of slots so i can always upgrade it, I would also like to use my tv and computer monitor to have 2 computer screens, any suggestions? thanks! :D

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

i7 of course.:)

3. Still Learning

I think i agree, this node is looking pretty sexy

Code:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/INTEL-I7-920-QUAD-CORE-DDR3-BAREBONES-COMPUTER-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ400061644568QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDesktop_PCs?hash=item5d25883f18&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A15|66%3A2|39%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
    what do you think on the price? good deal or no?

4. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

5. Still Learning

A little out of my league hehe :-D

I was thinking of a barebones kit 800$ or under, i wish i could afford that one, i dont have THAT much money :)

I also have some parts allready that i can use probuly on the barebones kit, question will a DDR2 ram chip work on a DDR3 mobo?

6. augiedoggie

No, never. DDR3 is expensive. :(

7. augiedoggie

Forget that e-Bay crap. You don't know anything about which mobo is in there nor how much memory. I'd stay away from that.;) Check newegg or tigerdirect or ncix

8. Still Learning

humm yeah i was just checking out this one, what do you think?

Code:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113094
    seems like a good deal, do you think the video card and system could handle hdmi to my hd tv to play WOW or Warhammer online? do I need 2 video cards to have my pc on 2 screens?

this one has a hdmi connection onboard allready which i like for my new tv,
    6gb ddr2 ram, (is there a big difference between ddr2 and ddr3 ram?)

On the comments it says XP will not run under this system , is that correct? How about Ubuntu will that work well? I would like a balance of mostly useing Ubuntu, and useing Windows XP or 7 for school and games.. thanks for all your help, im still a n00b to alot of this hardware stuff

9. augiedoggie

Why are you sticking with a dual core? I believe this will give you some better ideas. I have a quad with a GTX 260-216 and the thing screams!:)

10. Still Learning

I would like to get a quad core, but dont want to pay tons of money :-(

Any suggestions would be awesome, like the best deal for the money 800$ and under.. actully i would rather get into the 400 to 600$ range but if it is worth it in the long run then i would pay up to 800$

I'm no expert on computer hardware, need good guidance i guess.. trying to get get the most for my money, and it would be nice to have 2 monitors or to play stuff to my hd tv via hdmi from my computer

11. augiedoggie

Is the monitor cost included in your range? Try this then

Asus P5QL PRO Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 Processor Q6600 much cheaper if you can find it

You already have the memory, case, drives and add a decent PSU for the video card you want. You changed the rules quite a bit after you saw the prices eh?:-D

12. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I agree with Augie, I am running two rigs one is a Q6600 with a Gtx295 4gb DDR2 ram and intel DX38BT Mobo
    But to be honest i think the mobo is choking the rest although it still runs like a dream.
    The second is a Q6700 with a GTX260 4gb DDR3 ram and an Asus P45R2000 mobo which is actually faster than the first rig.
    Without the GPU cards both these rigs were under $700 but then the cost of the GPUs pushed that up considerably.
    I am just toying with the idea of building an I7 rig and using the GPU from one of my other PCs to help keep the cost down.
    One of your main priorities if you want it for gaming is to get one with a powerful PSU so you do not underpower the rig.

13. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

I def. agree with Auggie. That case I know for a fact is crap. My cousin ordered a bare bones, from Tigerdirect about 6 months ago. And he really hates the case. It has some major heating issues, and I beliece it only has slots for 2 fans. If you go with liquid cooled you wouldn't have to worry about it though.

14. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

This is good board with nice card.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4936535&Sku=B69-1103
    My system Power Supply ( 800 Watt -- Power Supply Quad SLI Ready )
    Processor ( Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8400 (2x 3.0GHz/6MB L2 Cache/1333FSB) )
    Processor Cooling ( [=== Silent ===] Thermaltake V1 CPU Cooling Fan System Kit Silent & Overclocking Proof = Maximum cooling efficiency for quietness and performance )
    Motherboard ( [SLI] MSI P7N SLI-FI Nvidia nForce 750i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Three PCI-E MB )
    Memory ( 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair XMS2 Xtreme w/Heat Spreader )
    Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce 9800GTX+ 512MB w/DVI + TV Out Video )
    Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA )
    Hard Drive ( 320 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache] )
    External Hard Drives [USB 2.0/eSATA] ( None )
    CD/DVD Drive ( 16x DVD-ROM Drive Black )
    CD-RW/DVD-RW Drive ( [** Special !!! ***] LG 20X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black )
    Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
    Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
    USB 2.0 Accessories ( Built-in USB 2.0 Ports )
    Meter Display ( Thermal Temperature LCD Display Black )
    Flash Media Reader/Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer Black )
    Operation System ( Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit )
    Warranty ( Warranty Service Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )
    I've only had it for 6 months, but I am very satisified with it. It only cost me 1100. And the 3 Year warranty is worth that to me. I was going to order the one above from Tigerdirect, but I was concerned about the warranty issue. My syatem came from http://www.ibuypower.com/Info/i7.aspx?gclid=CJ3wio_03JsCFRdGxwoddDW5bw
    They have prebuilt systems from around 800. and they also have a custom configurator if there is anything you don't like, you can change.

15. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

Here is a nice deal, and in your budget..

The case sucks though, but nice mobo, cpu, and you can even change some things or leave some things off to lower the price since you have some hardware. But I would definetly upgrade the Ram on this particular system

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds