Best Broadband Provider?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pudz, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Pudz

Pudz Private E-2

Hey, Just wondering if i can get some input on some good broadband providers

Im with virgin ADSL at the moment and looking to change as its rubbish

Sky seems to be the cheapest but not sure about the quality of service

Any info would be appreciated

2. obener

obener Private E-2

actually it depends on how much you would be willing to spend on it and also what specifications you are looking for? It can also depend on the bundles they are offering.

3. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

I'm not sure where your located or which options you currently have.. but if you have the option to go with Verizon, DONT!! thier service is horrible, you will reget it like i do!

Just my .02 cents worth :)

4. obener

obener Private E-2

what happened with Verizon? i think Pudz is talking about the UK

5. dyamond

for as much money as i am paying them - the connection rate its terribly slow and oh help you if it as much as rains.. you'll have wavering (one moment your connected and the next your not) connectivity and if it storms NO connectivity AT ALL! :boxing

Then i've had to re-install the software, everytime it stormed, just to get connected again. The tech support is no help either...

6. obener

obener Private E-2

that seems really bad. so who are you with now?

7. dyamond

Im still stuck with crappy Verizon because I've only had it a few months and wont pay there stupid $200 cancellation fee.

8. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Hmm.. I use Verizon and find the service very satisfactory.

DSL is using tel. lines if the tel. lines in your area are problematic during storms that is not an ISP problem.

As far as software is concern, I wonder, I do not have any software related to Verizon on my PCs.

9. dyamond

I used the self-install kit. Thats why i needed the software. I know its not the lines because when I had RCN, I never had a problem when it stormed. :)

10. obener

obener Private E-2

yea thats the downside with every company. unless your 12 months contract (could be 24 for others) isnt over they want a cancellation fee.

11. obener

obener Private E-2

how long do u have left till your contract finishes then?

12. dyamond

probably 7 or 8 months :(

13. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

As far as I know RCN is a Cable provider.

Cable ain't DSL, it does not use the Tel. Lines.

14. dyamond

i'm not going to argue with you... my opinion is Verizon sucks and if anybody asks me, thats what im going to tell them :)

15. obener

obener Private E-2

lol. ill support you.

16. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I thinks your right too, knowing SKY and Virgin Media are both UK ISPS.

DO not go with Orange, the future is not bright!

NTL and Telewest are now both owned by virgin, so that narrows the field down to a few like BT, Be Unlimited ( part of O2 and ADSL2+ ) are a few I'm looking at to move to, most likely BE.

But a nice list of UK providers http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps.html

17. My opinion is that cable is better than dial-up and I'm not sure where you are located but (what I think) Comcast is the best BroadBand

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds