DNS Setting for PC behind router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tate, Apr 26, 2004.

1. tate

tate Private E-2

Hello all,

I have a router connected to my cable (adelphia) modem. The router, for the WAN side, is set to DHCP and auto-get-a-DNS address. On the LAN side, I am not using DHCP - I have asigned each PC (all windows XP pro) their own IP addresses for security reasons.

My question is what should I put in the TCP/IP proerties for DNS address. Automatically getting one is not an option because I'm not automatically getting an IP address.

Currently, I've put in the address that the cable modem reports it's using. If I put in the DNS address for my earthlink dial up connection, which I access through a different router, that works too. If I leave it blank, nothing works. Is there a correct address to use here?

Thanks,
    Tate

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

DNS needs to be either the IP of the router, or the DNS servers your ISP has given you for the cable connection (NOT the dialup... often the two have different dns servers for speed)
    . If your router uses DHCP, that should all be sorted out for you. But obviously you dont...
    So just set it as the router, if it gets the dns automatically on the WAN side, it should transfer down if you send it a DNS request it should know what to do with it. Read your instruction manual. Might be a crap manual, but you never know!

:)

3. tate

tate Private E-2

Thanks. I'll try the IP of the router. All my manual says is to use the address supplied by my ISP.

Tate

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds