Portable "Flash" Drives? ~ Storage? Memory?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grc123, Oct 3, 2010.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hoping someone is willing to help me better understand (again) these two "different" (??) items (attached), and what the differences are as far as advantages/disadvantages of using one over the other, please?

I "think" the little greenish-colored thing is known as a "Thumb Drive" (and/or an "SD" something-or-other?) , and I "think" (??) it has about 2GB of storage space, same as the other, black-colored, PNY "Flash" Drive.

I know they are both "USB", but other than that, I really don't understand what the hub-bub is about, and why they wouldn't be named the same (either smaller/larger-sized "Flash", or whatever the people that name theses things would want to call them).

Thanks in advance,
    g...

Attached Files:

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

They're basically the same thing, just different packaging and ergonomic tweaks. Really no advantage/disadvantage between the different types of drives out there, as long as they have roughly the same specs.

IMO, always stick with a name brand peripheral.

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Also some of the older ones are USB while the newer types go for USB 2.0.(faster)

4. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Thanks - if you were referring to the one device I am showing in the attachment (the smaller, greenish-colored one, which is a "Media Gear"[?] device), though I've never heard of that brand, it was actually given to me - free of charge - so I simply accepted it.

The PNY device is "name brand", correct?

Thanks - good to know that 2.0 = faster ;)

5. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Yep - PNY I've used, Media Gear I haven't, but hey: free is a great price. ;)

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds