Monitor SAYS NO signal, I NEED BIG HELP

Discussion in 'Software' started by be0, Oct 22, 2004.

1. be0

be0 Corporal

My buddy recently purchased parts for his new comp.
    We put it together and everything seemed to work fine...we started installing windows XP on it only to realize that we need SATA controllers for his RAID hard drive.
    We went on another computer and created the needed floppy only to come back to locked up system.
    The computer boots up but it doesn't go into any sort of screen... in fact the monitor displays NO SIGNAL.
    We checked all the cables...no bent pins...no motherboard beeps!!!!
    Replaced graphics card...no luck...unpluged/pluged all of the things except taking out the CPU...nothing.

I should mention that we frequently were taking the floppy drive in and out of the computer because we had one floppy drive and would go back and forth between his old computer and this new one.

It worked fine. We shut it down, turn it back up with no response.
    Please give us some suggestions.
    Thanks.

His components:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3000
    MB: Asus A7V880
    RAM: 1GB of Crucial (checked motherboard manual for compatability and
    it was fine)
    Graphics Card: Radeon 9800Pro 256 mb
    Case: some sort of gamers case with a 420W power supply
    Hard Drive: Western Digital 80 gig
    DvD burner
    Santa Cruiz by Turtle Beach sound card

we also took the graphic card off my other computer and it did the same thing....

I took the graphic card back to my old computer and it works
    What happened is that it worked at the first boot up. Then we tried to install the drivers for my SATA hard drive and we unplugged the floppy drive to go to my old computer so that we can create a disk off the cd for it.
    and when we came back the monitor wont work anymore. Iv been waiting for asus phone call for about 3 hours now, no joke, I called em 3 times they tell me that they are busy.... :(
    I need some help NOW.....
    thanks guys

2. 44039

44039 Private First Class

Are you able to put the graphic card in another slot? The fact that the vid works in another system, tells you it's ok. Have you tried swapping monitors? You know your monitor works. Put it on his machine. If it still doesn't work, then it's not the monitor. Here's what I would do......

Strip the machine to bare bones. Pull EVERYTHING out. All you should have is case, motherboard, video card, memory, keyboard, monitor. That's it. No disk drives.

Boot the machine. Any video? If not, then it's your MB. Can you change slots (if it's PCI)?

If the machine does boot with video (and barks about not disk), then start adding one piece at a time. Everytime you add a piece, boot it up and check the vid. I would add them in this order:

floppy
    RAID controller
    mouse
    RAID drives
    DVD
    sound

Anytime you build a system, that's the best way (I found) to put one together. You then have tested each part before you put a lot of time in the machine before you realize you have to do it all over again!

Scott
    http://www.AAApcMechanic.com

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds