Registration

Discussion in 'Software' started by Oooops!, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

My computer is prompting me to register it, but is asking for my full name and e-mail addy. I prefer not to give this kind of information out. Is the registration required, or is it something that can be overlooked?
    Thanks
    :)

Attached Files:

2. silas

silas MajorGeek

I dont know what your doing and where that screen is from. But I says you can skip and register at a later time. Also if your worried about email and personal info why not make an extra email for things you sign up for and just enter that email with fake name. Unless your item you need your info correctly for it then you should into real info.

3. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

I bought a new computer a couple months ago, it occasionally prompts me to register it, but I've been putting it off as I wasn't sure what it was.

4. Tux_Rules

Tux_Rules Corporal

Looks like a reg. form for HP, which I'll assume is who the computer is manufactured by.

5. Grampa

Grampa Private E-2

Windows likes you to register so they can tell you when they release a patch for some problem they had ignored when they sold yet the newest version of Windows. It also helps authenticate your computor's copy of windows. Unless you NEVER have your name anywhere in your computor the chances that you will escape unknown is virtually zero. Get yourself a .yahoo.com email address and use that for everything. Keep your real email address just for friends and family but be aware that it will get out anyhow. Just one of the many joys of being on the internet. Relax and enjoy it. Keep your AV up to date and run a scan at least twice a week, keep your antispamware up to date and run it daily, NEVER open attachments, and you should be fairly safe. Hope this helps. 3's
    Grampa

6. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Just to point out the Windows activation process never asks for personal information. The registration process Oooops! asked about is for HP. it is not necessary to register.

7. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Yes, I have a:
    (Windows 7) HP Pavilion p6211f, AMD Athlon II X4 620 Quad-Core 2.6 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB Hard Drive

Thank you muchly for all the suggestions!

Thanks!
    :)

8. Grampa

Grampa Private E-2

I like Compaq and have for years. One thing I like is that they have online chat for tech support for both HP and Compaq. If you get into trouble go to the compaq website and click on the live chat. They are very helpfull and it is free for HP and Compaq owners. Hope this helps. 's
    Grampa

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes you can opt out of those, in the main, look in your startup list and their is likely to be a registration app starting up to prompt you to register, if you cannot see it post a screenshot of your startups and we can see if one is their.

Also open Task Scheduler and look to see if their is a HP task set in the scheduler library, if so remove it.

I agree with Grampa, I have a Compaq laptop and the two times I have had to use their support is was prompt and right on the money, funny one was I accidently called the Canada support line and they where fantastic!

10. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds