Monitor receives signal but stays blank

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marshall, May 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marshall

marshall Private E-2

I unplugged everything on my computer to check out the inside. Then when I put everything back, the monitor got messed up. So here's what happens:

I turn on my computer and I hear the fan and everything working inside, but the monitor stays blank. I unplugged the monitor cord from the computer and "No signal" showed up on the screen and when I put it back it disappeared, but stayed black. I waited 30 min and nothing changed. I pressed Alt+f4 on the keyboard then Enter to see if it was working and sure enough it shut down. It seems like everything is working, but it doesn't show up on the monitor. I'm afraid I messed something up when I oped the case, but I didn't really do anything. The next thing I'm going to do is pug a different monitor into my computer or my monitor into a different computer. Any help would be great. Thanks

2. bluetoothFX

bluetoothFX Private E-2

probably your videocard. try reseeding it onto the board... if not it is probably hosed

3. aLLiKZar

aLLiKZar It's not too late to back out!

Put a different monitor on to see if the monitor is dead.

Unplug your video card and reseed it.

It might be set on a different monitor in the display section,
    if it is a dual monitor card.

4. SiLenZe

SiLenZe Private First Class

when you first turn the computer on can you see the bios/post screen?

5. trwvn11

trwvn11 Private E-2

I am having the same problem. I can enter my BIOS setup, but I'm not sure what to do from there.

6. stretch2006

stretch2006 Private E-2

I have this problem too!
    I can see the startup and enter my BIOS. Although, i'm unsure on what to do when in the BIOS.
    Can anybody help?
    It first did it when i clicked exit on a amateur-made game called flamewars. I could hear my msn making noises though.
    Since then it has been grey/black.
    I installed some RAM on Friday if it matters, and installed Cubase(music software) about 45mins before it did it.

7. peteblakemore

peteblakemore Private E-2

yeh i'm having trouble with mine too :eek: got back home yesterday thinking all would be fine, left the girlfriend for 2 minutes and when i got back "sorry, i just pressed a few buttons and now it won't work". Computer comes on, but monitor just says "no input detected" or similar.

i've tried taking out the vga cord and putting it back in (i'm running dual display, tried both monitors in boths slots) still no luck. Funny (not haha funny, strange funny) thing is that when i press the power off button it just dies straight away so i don't even think it's booting properly.

I don't thinkshe could have done too much damage, the computer was fine the day before, maybe it's a problem with either the graphics card (radeon X700 256mb AGPx8 by the way) or maybe the motherboard (Asus K8NE-Deluxe by the way).

Thanks for any suggestions, i'll give the other ones a try. Just hope i can get it up and running before this assignment i have due in tommorow haha (funny haha!). :D

8. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Please don't dig up old threads, instead start a new one :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds